he died at 53 - how?

emjim

he died at 53 - how?

Post by emjim »

Hello all,

I think someone here must know the answer to a question that's baffled me for some time: how did Yang Checg Fu die?

Was it Obesity? Polluted water (I read that somewhere)?

Also, is it true that towards the end he taught from his bed because he was so immobile? I read in Steal My Art that when TT Liang first met Yang Cheng Fu he was struck by his constant eating.

Many thanks,
Jim
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Jim,

Here is a link to an article by Dr. Mei Yingsheng, who relates some information on the matter from his teacher, Fu Zhongwen.

http://www.geocities.com/meiyingsheng/longevity.html

Take care,
Louis
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

Indeed, the issue of "longevity" is often a question for students. It has been explained to me that the conception is that we all have different fates, different destinies, and that T'ai Chi is designed to maintain a high level of function for as long as possible during the lifespans that we are given to make use of, whatever they may be.

My teacher's father, Wu Ta-kuei, also passed away in his early fifties. Although he was from a long-lived family generally, he suffered many years of hardship as a resistance fighter during the Japanese invasion, and it is said in the family that his passing in 1970 was related to those experiences. Yang Ch'eng-fu was a selfless teacher and a kind person, who directly helped helped many hundreds and indirectly helped thousands if not millions experience the benefits of T'ai Chi Ch'uan in the time that he had. So who can say that someone who lives longer is somehow better at the art. The sacrifices that another may make for their family or nation and how they are made certainly play a role in determining a reputation among the expert as well.

Regards,
-P.
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

"After my teacher (Yang Chengfu) arrived in southern China, he was afflicted with diarrhea and vomiting due to the sanitation of the water and environment. He was hooked up to an I.V. for not very long before he passed away". The capabilities and technology of western medicine was very poor in the 1930's throughout China, therefore the treatment of illness (however so minor) was a tremendous problem in many areas in China" (from article posted by Louis Swaim)

There is the answer to the question. YCF got sick, medical conditions were not the best so he passed away. I think its a little unfair and disrespectful the fact that many people throughout the years have implied that master yang's level of acomplishment in tajiquan was not soo big, simply becuse he had some overweight issues in late years.

His contribution to the art, his teachings, and the fact tht so many of his student reached a very high level as martial artists proves his commintment to the art his knowledge and understanding, therefore his high level as a martial aritst.

There is one famous xingyi master from that same period, and I keep forgeting the name but I'll find it and post it later. Anyway, he was also a little "heavier" in later years, and even in his fifties he was still considered the deadliest fighter in the streets of Taiwan.

My first kung fu techer was huuugeee! and he could still perfom flawlesly dragon style kung fu and his fighting ability was extraordinary.

As martial artists and as individuals we need to seek the best and healthiest physical shape we can, but sometimes perople that due to genetics dont look so trim, can be as agile or even more agile that "model looking" guys. Specially if the have been trined in a true martial tradition and have reached the level of undersandong that master yang cheng fu had.

Back in my karate days, (long ago!) my sensei used to say "a fat guy is that person who is unable to move his own mass, no matter how small", otherwise, no matter how big hes in good shape.

Now, this sound a little weird, but the point is, martial ability sometimes is not directly related to weight!

By the same token, master cheng man ching or sun lu tang, who looked extremely skinny and fragile shoul be acused of not being good martial artists becuse of their weight! well...we all know how far from reality that affirmation is, as CMC and SLT are considered among the greates contemporary masters.
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

I have noticed that most TCC practitioners are a touch, let's politely say "well rooted", in the middle.
I know I am and I didn't used to be until I started this training.
Just about every good TCC practitioner I've come across has a bit of a spare tire.
I could be wrong, heck I usually am, but it seems that keeping the head suspended as if from above, the shoulders down, the back expanded and the chest slightly sunk, relaxing the entire waist, slightly tucking in the hips, bending the knees just a bit and sinking our weight into the root of the earth...
Doesn't seem to promote those washboard abs on us.
I've known some skinny TCC players, so it certainly depends on your body type and genetics, but I think it's a general enough observation of the folks I've known over the years to hold some merit.
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

LOL! Spare tire! LOL

well in my case, if there ever a flat tire I sure have the spare for it!

So you can count me as another one of your obsevation subjects! LOL

No washboard abs here thats for sure!
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Wushuer,

I’m not sure that your observation could be taken to mean that there’s any correlation between taijiquan practice and waist size, one way or the other. I’ve known taiji practitioners in many shapes and sizes.

Take care,
Louis
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

hey! chen xiao wan has a cute tummy! LOL
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Louis,
I said that of the people I have met in TCC over the years most haven't had wash board type abs, not that every one of us is as wide as Wisconsin.
Master Yang Jun certainly doesn't suffer from the spare tire syndrome and I feel quite certain he's skillful beyond my ken. Someone allready mentioned Sun Lu Tang, Wu Chien Chuan was a small, thin man from the pictures I've seen.
It's certainly not a requirement to have a spare tire to get skill, though that is what I tell my wife, and I don't believe I implied that.
I was making what I hoped would be regarded as a slightly humurous observation about the fact that most of don't train for tight abdominal muscles in this art, not a pronouncement of doom.
Oh, well. At least SOMEONE got it...
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Rvc_ve,
Thank you. I'll be here all week.
;-)
emjim

Post by emjim »

Thanks for your replies everyone.

Jim
Gu Rou Chen

Post by Gu Rou Chen »

I have heard that he died of syphilis.
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Gu Rou Chen,
His symptoms, which are widely documented, do not seem to be consistent with Syphilis, which is an STD that will actually cause you to loose weight, not gain it, get bumps or sores near your mouth and genitals and usualy jaundice. Those are the symptoms I can print on a site like this, anyway, there are certainly more.
Dysentery was a wide spread problem at YCF's time in China. Many people suffered from it and all of YCF's reported symptoms are consistent with this disease.
Is there some report of these symptoms of syphilis in YCF's case with which we are not familiar?
rvc_ve

Post by rvc_ve »

All joking aside, I think this thread has exceded it useful life!
Gu Rou Chen

Post by Gu Rou Chen »

I heard that a public story was made up saying that he had some vague illness related to "humidity in the South." The other illness is not something the family would want publicized, obviously.

Dysentery is -still- rampant in many parts of China as are Hepatitis, TB and a lot of other diseases.