Yang Zhengduo Brush Knee Twist Step clip

Marc Heyvaert

Yang Zhengduo Brush Knee Twist Step clip

Post by Marc Heyvaert »

Hello,

As Yuri requested in the weapons forum, I put a clip with YZD showing how 'Brush Knee...' should be done.

The clip is from a set of VCD's on the Zuhai TCC meeting some years ago. You can still buy them and they contain fascinating footage, especially if you are into comparing styles and stuff like I am Image

It is in Chinese and subtitled in Chinese too!

This is the link (it's clip nr 4!):

http://users.pandora.be/taiji/Videoclips.htm

Enjoy

Marc
Yury Snisarenko

Post by Yury Snisarenko »

Marc, thanks a lot. Very interesting clip. I am looking forward to get the next one. Pretty detailed and informative explanation. I didn't understand everything but anyway it's very worth to watch. I'm thinking about purchasing these VCDs. How much info do they contain about Yang style?

One interesting thing I've noticed watching how he pushed forward is that rear leg tended to move forward and the foot rotated on the heel … pretty deferent from what I saw in the form. It seems that masters can easily vary some methods.
Marc Heyvaert

Post by Marc Heyvaert »

[This message has been edited by Marc Heyvaert (edited 09-10-2004).]
Marc Heyvaert

Post by Marc Heyvaert »

Hi,

The VCD's contain mostly material about Wu and Chen styles, but they remain interesting.

Marc
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Thank you very much. A very good clip with much to ponder even if I can't understand a word being said.
I would sincerely like to know what the Grand Master is saying though. I don't speak any Chinese, of any dialect, beyond "Hoa" and "Xie jien", if I've even spelled them correctly.
Any help here with some translation? At least of the most salient points?

[This message has been edited by Wushuer (edited 09-10-2004).]
Marc Heyvaert

Post by Marc Heyvaert »

Hi,

What I like about the clip is that YZD shows clearly how you can help someone to test the structural integrity of his position. So Taijiquan is not only about making movements in the air Image

Also you can clearly see that the movement has a double action: turning (with already some pushing too) and pushing (demonstrated as a vigourous movement).

I have another clip ready about the turn from 'An' to 'Single Whip'. I will post that in the coming days. (Just a matter of guarding my bandwidth).

Marc
Yury Snisarenko

Post by Yury Snisarenko »

Wushuer, actually he just describes movements in right sequence.

Hm.. 'italic' tag doesn't work.
--- use square brackets -Jerry

[This message has been edited by Yury Snisarenko (edited 09-10-2004).]

[This message has been edited by JerryKarin (edited 09-10-2004).]
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Yuri,
Many thanks.
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Wushuer,

In the clip, Yang Zhenduo is also drawing attention to the separate qualities of bringing in the right arm and striking out straight. Note that shifting weight to flatten the foot is distinct from bending the left knee and coming fully forward. I think I talked a little about my understanding of this when you first joined the board.

Take care,
Audi
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Audi,
Yes, we did discuss this then, but I didn't understand what you were telling me back then.
I spent Saturday morning going over Brush Knee and Twist Step, Yang Cheng Fu style, with Bill W. and I feel quite a bit better about that posture, White Crane Lifts Wings since we started with the transitional move and ended up going back all the way through that and even Step Up, Parry and Punch because I had allready managed to mangle that posture beyond recognition since the seminar, by dragging in some Wu style and even a bit of the first Yang style variation I learned all those years ago and I was making Bill nuts when I was doing it.
I am beginning to see what you all have been trying to tell me about this movement, but couldn't understand before. As Bill will attest, sometimes it takes a while for the concept to work its way through the solid rock that is my brain.
My notes from the Hand Form Seminar with Master Yang Jun suddenly make more sense to me, also.
All this from the posting of that one clip!
If anyone else has any clips they wish to share, bring 'em on! Please. The knowledge I've gained from just this one clip alone has lead to my having concepts that I'll need to work on for years and years to come.