Long forms/short forms

shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

It seems that too many people train form and not gong. My own experience is that a form in itself is not better or worse. It is inert. The individual level of training, insight and experimentation is the main determing factor.

Taijiquan training is only one factor of many. It is not the only variable.
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Shudengla,
Well said. It is the principles that are important. As long the principles are contained inside a form the form is good.

Bob
artyeo

Post by artyeo »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shugdenla:
<B>It seems that too many people train form and not gong. My own experience is that a form in itself is not better or worse. It is inert. The individual level of training, insight and experimentation is the main determing factor.

Taijiquan training is only one factor of many. It is not the only variable.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
As for my opinion gong is more importance then form
And the quality and not the quantity of the form
You do the form do it slowly and feel your movement with your yi without breaking
You have to sink "chen" "yi nien" from your "bai hui" "song" like you pour a pail of water slowly from your head
and it flow slowly to your shoulders then to your chest your "dan tien" your "qua" your thigh your knee then to the
bottom of your feet. When you doing your gong don’t force your self too much when you feel the pain you slowly
move up rest for a minute or so then do it again if you force yourself you thigh mussel will get tense and harden
bkavanaugh

Post by bkavanaugh »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bob Ashmore:
<B>b,
I'm sorry to hear she isn't still releasing that tape. I'm very glad I allready have it.
The tape is really very good. She's definitely got a fan club here at our Center. We use her tape as the standard for our 13 posture form.
Bill teaches this form twice a week that I know of. He teaches it on Thursday nights at the Kentucky Horse Park in Georgetown, and again on Saturday mornings at a place called the Yuko-En on the Elkhorn, also in Georgetown. I can't make it to the Thursday night classes, but I go to every one of the Saturday morning classes I can. He is truly the best teacher anyone could ask for, his love of the art of Yang style TCC is a great inspiration to us all.

Glad I could help with the form. I've re-read my weak attempt at coreographing it for you, and I think it's fairly accurate. The only place I would say may be a tad off is the transition from Single Whip to Fist Under Elbow. The angles are off from the long form. In the long form, you come out of Embrace Tiger at an angle and step with your right foot into FUE, but in the 13 posture form you are allready facing in the right direction. So while it's very similar, it's a little bit different.
Similar enough, I hope, for viewing the tape to still convey at least the idea of the transition.

Bob</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For anyone who may be interested, she has had more copies of her 13-form DVD made and has them for sale. All you need to do is contact her. The DVD is $30. It's a little over 45 minutes long.
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Thanks Brian. Good to know.

Bob