Low, medium, and high brush knees

mls_72

Low, medium, and high brush knees

Post by mls_72 »

I am seeing various ranges in the left hand in brush knee twist step. Yang Jun's Left arm sweeps out lateraly high at chest shoulder level then comes down to thigh/knee.

I've seen brush knee also performed where the arms sweep out low and finishes at thigh/ knee level.

Lastly the Brush Knee that sweeps using the left arm high is actually called 'fair maiden plays shuttles' to cover the crown of the head.

I've seen this medium level sweep in the Wu style fast frame as well.

What is the main technique that brush knee is most commonly associated with? 4 corner's splitting?
Pamela

Post by Pamela »

[This message has been edited by Pamela (edited 04-09-2006).]
shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

Brush knee is only hindered by the fitness and skill of the practitioner. The 'older' brush knee of my teacher (Hou Chi Kwang)I incorporated into Yang was a raised left knee/brush as if raising and pushing (may be pulling also) extended foot of attacker and right hand to upper body of attacker. It may also be a twisting move depending on how one was taught. Can be alternated with formarm throw with brushing knee.
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

please notice the Fast frame brush knees at the beginning of this form- interesting at different levels:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 86&pl=true
qiphlow

Post by qiphlow »

hi--
my brush knee is this (let's say i'm going to step out w/ my left foot): (l) arm extended out @ shoulder level, pointed 45 degrees to (r) corner, forming a 90 degree angle w/ my own chest. (r) arm is ready next to my (r) ear. i step out w/ (l) foot. keeping weight on my (r) leg, (l) arm blocks in a downward arc to level of (l)knee. as (l) arm completes motion, weight transfers forward as (r) arm strikes forward.

fair lady works shuttle is not brush knee--they've got different applications.
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

MLS_72,
What a fantastic video of Master Mah! I haven't had a chace yet to look at the rest of these videos, but I'm certainly going to.
Thanks for sharing this link. A varitable treasure trove of Tai Chi Chuan form videos!

My only comment on Brush Knee and Twist Step arm heights is that I don't think it truly matters. Previous forms I have studied have run the gambut from chest height to truly brushing the knee. All are perfectly valid expressions of the same energy, simply moved to differing heights according to the opinion of the forms creator.
Using the same pricipals of movement you can use that arm to do an entire array of things, anything from grasping and offsetting your opponents arm to meeting incoming energy from a kick and offsetting it. What you do with that arm in "combat" will depend almost entirely on the circumstance of the moment, but practicing it depends on what the intent was of the person who created the form you are using.

Bob
shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

Great pics of Ma!
Interestingly enough, his Wu style fast form starts similarily like the first few postures of the Beijing 48 shi taijiquan!
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

Yuri Snisarenko

Post by Yuri Snisarenko »

!

[This message has been edited by Yuri Snisarenko (edited 04-24-2006).]
simonmotorbike

Post by simonmotorbike »

Hello, I am new to the board.

I was wondering if I could gain all the health and fitness benefits from watching the videos?

Perhaps I should looks at some diagrams to learn the martial aspects?

Simon
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Simon,
You want to train with a qualified teacher. It is very difficult to get the health benefits from looking at videos.

Bob
chris

Post by chris »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by simonmotorbike:
<B>Perhaps I should looks at some diagrams to learn the martial aspects?
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sure. And if you want to become a high hand, make sure to hold the diagrams at eye level!
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

In the book called "Yang Chen fu's Photographs of Tai chi chuan" by Shi Yueming, there in Part III of the book of photographs showing Tackling Eneny on page 45, Yang chen fu is doing his brush knee with left arm at chest level. he is controlling his opponents right arm while pushing on opponenets chest.

In "Practice use of Tai chi chuan" by Yang Sau Chung (yang chen fu's son) on page 6 he as well has a high waist level brush knee.