beginner's forum

black cat

beginner's forum

Post by black cat »

I think there should be a forum for beginners. Most of the talk on this site is way over my head being that I had my first class only yesterday. It was GREAT!! Normally after exercising and especially after starting a new exercise program or a new sport I'm usually very tired after a work out...ready for a nap. But after my first Tai Chi class I had tons of energy...too much energy actually as I had trouble getting off to sleep that night. It took me forever to fall asleep. I was wondering if every one else had the same sort of experience when they first started. And I was also wondering if there is a name for this "too much energy" feeling. And I was wondering if this "too much energy" thing will level off after a time or if my body will get used to it or if I will be learning how to control it????
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Welcome to Yang Cheng Fu Style T'ai Chi Ch'uan.
I may not be the best person to answer general questions on YCF T'ai Chi Ch'uan forms or practices as I am relatively new to YCF stle TCC myself, but I can answer your question regarding this new found energy.
This is most likely a reaction to your excitement over starting something new and exciting in your life. Anytime I start a new endeavour, be it TCC or bingo, I get that "thrill" of adventure and all that excess energy comes bubbling up.
It's a good thing. Enjoy it while you can and have fun with it. Like everything else, after you've been doing this for a while that will pass, fortunately you will then receive other, equally thrilling, benefits that will astound and amaze you over time.
Practice dilligently, but most importantly just relax and enjoy yourself.
That is the advice I have been doing my best to give myself lately and since I got my mind back in that mode I have had nothing but fun with this.
It will get frustrating as time goes on and you will have highs and lows, of that I can assure you.

There are many talented individuals on this forum that have bent themselves over backwards to help me while I have tried to make the transition from a different style of TCC over to Yang family TCC. These people are very patient and seem to have an endless supply of good advice and their knowledge of YCF style TCC has never ceased to amaze me.
So ask any questions you may have and I have complete confidence that these wonderful folks will do there best to help you find the answers.
Expect dissension in the ranks, expect some conflicting answers. In the long run though, I think you'll find that some of the best advice you can get will be right here on this board.

Good luck and good practice.
My favorite quote by Yang Cheng Fu:
"I'm not good yet. I need to practice."
I try to repeat that to myself at least ten times a day.
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

Hi black cat,

From what you say I think the endless chatter may be backed by a feeling that you are behind and must catch up.

Simply put, the energy you are feeling is your own when you focus it.

Taking the time to center yourself and then proceeding, in *any* endeavor, may enable you to succeed in whatever you turn your focus to.

I like your enthusiasm. I'm happy to have crossed your path. Image

Regards,

David J
black cat

Post by black cat »

HI..Yes, I am very excited to have found Yang Tai Chi Chuan. My instructor said that I am picking up on it more quickly then most people do. When I first walked into the studio the Saber class was in session...WOW is that impressive or what?!!! I expected to see blood flying any moment. YIKES!!! I hope that I can do that some day.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Black Cat

Your enthusiasm makes me smile. Relax, focus, and enjoy.

Unlike a lot of sites out there your questions will get a repectful response here. Remember, that the only bad/stupid question is one that isn't asked. I don't know if I can ever be of any help, but there are many here who can, and will be glad to do so.

And lastly, talk can be useful but most of the answers come from practice, lots of it. Welcome to the journey.

You like to fish? Fishing and tai chi are a great combination! When it is raining (and there is lightning) you can do tai chi, when it is nice out you can do both! What more could you ask for?
black cat

Post by black cat »

Yes, certainly there is no replacement for practice. It takes me forever to set a goal but once I have found and set a goal I go after it with everything that I have. I throw everything including the kitchen sink at it. For instance, it took me many years to decide to go back to school. (I went back in my early 30s.) but once I did I went after it with everything I had...made the deans list every quarter and graduated with a 9.6 average. But the thing with Tai Chi is that there is no graduation...it is limitless. I love tai chi because I can do it just about anywhere. I can take a hike and stop in the middle of a meadow and play or I can do it by a brook. I can do it while fishing too as you suggested. I don't need any special equipment and can play any time the mood strikes. Lots of people like golf these days...but, what if you feel like playing golf but didn't bring your clubs? And, you have to go to spacific places to do it. Just about any sport I can think of needs special equipment and/or a certain place in order to play. But tai chi...there are no restriction other then the ones we put on ourselves.
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Just a quick word.
Doing TCC anywhere can cause problems of it's own. I would recommend you practice restraint when in a public setting. Over the years, I have found that not everyone is comfortable with people practicing what is essentially a martial art in public places.
Then again, there are those people who practice other martial arts who may wish to "challenge" you, either physically or simply to a duel of theology.
Either way, it's not allways fun.
I do understand your point. TCC is great because you don't need anything but your body and a small amount of ground to practice. What I am saying is, choose your ground with a modicum of caution. THEN have fun.
On the flip side, you can practice standing meditations anyplace, regardless of circumstances. I often do standing meditations in overcrowded meetings where I have to stand. Everyone thinks you're concentrating really hard! Actually, you're in your own little world, but they don't need to know that.
Enjoy.
black cat

Post by black cat »

LOL...Well, I live in Buffalo New York so there's not a whole lot one can do here that would shock or surprise any one. But mostly I was talking about when I'm hiking, which I do a lot of, I can just stop and do it anywhere along my hike and I don't need to hull any special equipment along with me. Or in nasty weather I don't even have to leave my house to play. As far as being challenged...I know when to fight and when no to. Most fights are unnecessary weather they are verbal or physical and I refuse to lower myself to that level unless my life is in danger.
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

I could not agree with you more. However I have had some problems along those lines, as I grew up and did most of my martial arts training in Detroit, MI. People there a tad more aggressive than in most areas I've been in since.
Though those kinds of problems aren't limited to that area in any way, shaper or form.
Just this past New Year weekend I was in Ft. Lauderdale, FL and was practicing on the beach. I got about three minutes of form training in before some guy came along and wanted to talk to me about what I was doing. He was from some hard style I have never heard of before in my life and was fascinated by what I was doing. I finally had to give him the link to Yangfamilytaichi.com AND to a Chen family school in that area before he would leave me alone. By that time it was time for my group to leave and I never did get to practice on the beach like I'd been looking forward to that day and, of course, after that day the weather was not good enough for it.
That, by far, is your biggest problem when in a populated area while you practice. People want to know what you're doing and stop you to ask. I guess that's OK, if you're an outgoing, people kind of person or if you just have the time.
The other, more confrontational kind of thing, has happened to me a couple of times. I simply left and the situations were diffused. But it can and does happen. Just thought a word of warning might be prudent.
black cat

Post by black cat »

It was funny that we were discussing this topic because today in my Tai Chi class my teacher said, "You can do this anywhere...if you're waiting in a line at the bank just start practicing your Tai Chi, people will move to another line and you'll get taken really quickly."....LOL (I'll just bet!! Either that or they'll call the guys from Belview with the nets....LOL)
DavidJ

Post by DavidJ »

Hi Guys,

I used to keep a notebook of people's reactions when I traveled a lot.

One little kid asked "Whatcha doin?" and his friend immediately said "Shh, can't you see he's concentratin?" (Southern California)

One time I heard, off to the side, "What's he doing?" "I don't know man, but he sure must be stoned." (Vancouver, British Columbia).

David J
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Must be!
I've heard that one myself. People think you've been drinking, or whatever, when they see you doing TCC out in public.
I'm not trying to dissuade anyone from doing TCC in public, merely expressing the idea that caution should be exercised.
Good practice!