Tanbien (for Louis, in particular).

Audi

Post by Audi »

Greetings all,
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">it turns out that the results are exactly in accordance with what I have been taught in London.</font>
Its good for me to hear the confirmation as well. From what I have read, there is good Taijiquan in London.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Actually, in my own case, the thing that the Master in London has corrected me for the most in this movement, is having too much tension in my shoulders.</font>
I find your mention of "tension" interesting. There are many good people in the Association that talk this way and even more people in the general Tai Chi community that do. "Tension" per se, however, seems rarely to be mentioned at seminars.

In the situation you describe, the typical comment would be something like: "You need to have your shoulders down more," which, as you know, is a reference to the Ten Essentials. The emphasis is on consciously extending the tendons so that the shoulder is somewhat flattened. The level of actual muscular exertion is rarely discussed. This could be an issue of language, but I personally believe it to be a different nuance in method and approach.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Also we've been working on that elbow turning in the verticle circles, specifically in Press. </font>
Bob, I am curious. Are you talking about how the lower arm leaves the Press to begin the Rollback, or how the top forearm rotates over the bottom one into the preparation for Ward Off?

Take care,
Audi
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Audi,
Top rotation is what I have been thinking about.

Bob