Standing like a tree

Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Busted! That was a quick one!

--Louis
Kalamondin

Post by Kalamondin »

Hi all,

I haven't yet tried the stop-gap form (I've only tried the super-slow), but it seems like excellent training for mastering central equilibrium. Just to add a little something: I read somewhere that one's form (structure, frame) should be able to absorb/yield and then fa at any point during any of the movements, whether at the beginning, middle, or end of a single movement. This should apply to a blow coming from any direction to any part of the body. Sorry--I don't remember where I read it, but it seemed to make sense.

It seems like the stop-gap training of intense "standing" focus on the middle parts of movements would be really useful for training this. It's too easy to rush through a movement and not notice that balance isn't perfect. But if you stop in incremental stages, then you really know where your center of gravity is or is not!

Absorbing when standing on one leg or when stepping is really hard. No wonder tai chi favors two feet on the ground.

Kal
twc

Post by twc »

Hi all,

First of all, I must say I am intrigued by the depth of knowledge, especially on the history and literature of Taiji, of the contributors to this forum. Amazing!

Due to our physical differences (height, weight, flexibility, age, state of health, etc) we practise the Taiji forms differently. The important thing is that the principles of Taiji must not be too far off. All these different practises are just the means to the ends.

One of the advantages of dingshi practices is that one has to be totally relaxed (or "song")to hold these positions without your joints complaining ever so strongly; and once we are totally relaxed our qi can flow smoothly.

Once totally relaxed, one may find that the posture will adjust itself to allow maximum efficiency based on his/her own physical characteristics. And that further relax the body/mind, and thus attaining even more efficiency, and the cycle goes on.

Hope it helps.

cheers,
twc