Dalu

ruben

Dalu

Post by ruben »

Hello everybody.
On Yang Chengfu´s "The essence and applications of Taijiquan", pg. 106, when describing Dalu´s Cai form, it says: "A´s left hand pluck is transitioning to shan (lightning strike).
Does anybody knows what is this kind of strike?
Thanks,

Rubén
Audi

Re: Dalu

Post by Audi »

Hi Rubén,

I believe "shan" refers to an open-hand slap.
ruben

Post by ruben »

Hi Audi,
Thank you for your answer.

Rubén
Richful

Post by Richful »

Hi guys,
Shan is similar to Brush Knee Twist Step. In the image beside the description you used Rubén, Yang Cheng Fu (A) is using his left palm to strike at B's neck/face and his right to draw aside (pie kai) B's left arm, dissolving the shoulder strike. This is a use of Lieh Split energy just like in Brush Knee, the waist turns right, the right arm drops and draws open, the left arm pushes forward.

It's hard to find good descriptions of Dalu. The internet is rife with videos of bad dalu performance. I think you've got the best book for it though, that and Fu Zhongwen's Mastering Yang Style Taijiquan also translated by Louis Swaim.

Cheers,
Rich.
ruben

Post by ruben »

Hi Rich, it´s been a long time, but thank you for your answer. I ´ve also got Fu´s book. I wiil check his version.
Regards,

Rubén
Isaac888

Post by Isaac888 »

Hi everyone,

Today, I was exposed to the Da Lu push hand technique. It is really interesting and would like some help in understanding this form. The foot work seems complicated and it has some very weak positions ( weak points) . I wonder if these footwork are mandatory or is there some hidden form to it.

If I am right, there are 4 footwork movement in one direction and it is on the 3rd movement that is most vulnerable .
Please post the footwork movement if you have it.

Thank you in advance for your kind support.

Cheers.

Isaac
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Isaac,

My knowledge of this is limited and I cannot say much about it, but this Youtube video by Sam Masich could give you some idea of at least one version of the Da Lu. Another thing to remember is that all these types of drills have numerous layers to them. They generally teach one skill that then leads to other skills. They also tend to have many, many different variations.

Take care,
Audi
fchai

Post by fchai »

Greetings,
Is there any video available of Master Yang Jun demonstrating ''Dalu"? I have found his instructional videos very clear and illuminating. They have also assisted in clarifying in my mind certain aspects on the execution of the form. Makes me a better practitioner, or so I believe.
Cheers,
Frank