Parting Wild Horse's Mane: Eye Gaze

Audi

Parting Wild Horse's Mane: Eye Gaze

Post by Audi »

Greetings all,

In Parting Wild Horse's Mane, how should the eyes get to their final direction? More specifically, should the eyes pick up any of the movement of the arm doing Peng? If so, when after Slanting Single Whip should it pick up this movement of the right arm? If not, what should the eyes do during the transition?
Kalamondin

Post by Kalamondin »

Hi Audi,

I'll take a stab at this one, but you might have a look at Master Yang's DVD if you can get ahold of one as I am not 100% sure.

For those unfamiliar with this style, we generally follow the principle of having the eyes looking in the direction of the active arm and toward the opponent. However, we don't look directly at our arms or hands because we want to see any attack as it approaches. This fosters outward awareness and internal perception (IMO) because as one gazes outward, one has to simultaneously sharpen one's ability to listen inward to feel where they body is to "see" that it's in the correct posture. Anyway...back to the topic.

From Diagonal Single Whip, I am looking in the direction of my left hand. As I begin Parting the Wild Horse's Mane, my eyes and head follow the left hand as it curves inward. As I sit back on my left leg, my eyes/head follow the slight pulling motion of the left arm as I close the right arm down and in. At this transition point for the gaze, I find I am looking slightly downward, more in the direction of the left forearm and not at my left hand (which would be doing the pullling). I think the reason for this is so that I can also see my right hand/arm and also so that the gaze transition can be smooth without the need for turning the head back and forth.

At this transition point, the gaze naturally shifts from the left arm to the right arm. (Both hands have closed in, right foot has stepped out but I haven't transfered my weight yet.) As I raise my right arm for pung and turn my waist and shift my weight, my eyes naturally follow the direction of my right arm. At first, the gaze corresponds to the waist/torso movement as the head rotates in conjuction with the body, but as the right arm extends, my head turns with it at the same time. In the end posture, I am looking in the direction of my right hand, but not looking at it. I am looking beyond it.

Well, hope that helps. Best wishes,
Kal
Fred Hao

Post by Fred Hao »

Hello, Audi

As a reference,Parting Wild Horse's Mane is that the Qi naturally spreads five diretions
--
One goes the substantial foot--steady.
Three go through the rest of one leg (up) and two hands---balance.
One qi goes up through the spine to the top of the head, nurturing the spirit, but leaving the spirit inside not letting the spirit out of the eye although your eyesight line point at the opponent.

And the qi naturally flows to the fingers toward the opponent but not push the Qi.

My sense.