question about Saber chineese names movements

sabre, sword, spear, etc
John Shaw

question about Saber chineese names movements

Post by John Shaw »

Hi every one, I am a new user and I am not familiar with the process. Also my first language is french so be tolerent with my english. Thanks. I have one question. I am praticing the saber form and start to look at the chineese name of the posture. In the video of the yang family , during the 6 th movement Yang Jun is calling the name yu ve , chuan suo, ba fan chi and after he is saying something like " triden, tuantien, quaden , quato, tuz " could someone could tell me what the right spelling of these words and their meanings. Thanks for helping me in my understanding .
Audi

Re: question about Saber chineese names movements

Post by Audi »

Hi John,

Welcome to the Board!

I don't have a chance to try to answer your question fully right now, since I am quite busy this week; however, you might find some answers on this old thread:

Saber Formula names

Take care,
Audi
John Shaw

Post by John Shaw »

Thanks Audi, I read these texts and they help me to understand the chinese names of the posture and the discusion is really interesting. I learned also about the 7 words in each rhimes , I was reading the names and tried to know them by heart and I never noticed this fact. I is interesting. IN these discusions the following text is about my question " There are many movements corresponding to this brief line. As I recall, Yang Zhen Duo would call out some of them either as supplementary instruction, or to cover the silence. One might have been “kua4 bu4” (stride over/step across) to correspond to the pivoting turns before the saber slashes. He might also have occasionally said “ci4” (stabbing thrust) to correspond to the eye-level thrusts, but I am less certain of this memory and cannot find my CD of Yang Zhen Duo calling out the postures to confirm this." In the CD of Yang Jun , he said the names clearly during each movements. But no where it is indicated the way they are written and their significations. Thanks again to have inform me and I will wait for a future answer.
John Shaw

Post by John Shaw »

Hi Audi, or everyone who reads this question. Everyone who may have an idea about the translation of these names will be appreciated. Could it be numbers in chinese ? I wrote them as I heard them but I don't think this is the right spelling. Thanks John .
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi John,

Alas, I am still pressed got time, but did not want to let your post go too long without any answer.
In the video of the yang family , during the 6 th movement Yang Jun is calling the name yu ve , chuan suo, ba fan chi and after he is saying something like " triden, tuantien, quaden , quato, tuz " could someone could tell me what the right spelling of these words and their meanings. Thanks for helping me in my understanding .
I believe that "yu ven, churn Sui, ba fan chi" corresponds to "Yùnǚ chuansuo ba fang shi (玉女穿梭八方势). That means: "The posture in which the fair maiden works the shuttle to the eight directions."

"tuantien" could be "zhuan shen (转身), which would mean "turn around." "tuz" might be "ci" (刺)or "thrust." This last would sound a little like the French word "ceux", except that it would begin with an English "t".

I still don't have my cd to listen for the other words, but that is the best I can do for the moment.

Take care,
Audi
John Shaw

Post by John Shaw »

:D Hi Audi, Very Happy to read you. The two nouns you wrote " Zhuan Shen " Turn around ,and Ci or thrust corresponds to the moves that we are doing in the 6 corners. Zhuan Shen is when we turn around to change position for the next corner and CI is when we trust at the end of each sequences. These explanations for theses words souds great. The others words " triden " is when we push with our elbow and our hand the saber in front of us and quaden is when we slash diagonally after having turn around. The last one "Quanto" is when we block horizontally from left to right with the help of our left hand touching our right wrist before doing the Thrust . I don't know if these little details could help you to have an idea about the meanings of the others words.

I want to tell you that I appreciate your ideas about this typic. Right now we are practicing the saber form with the chinese souds and it is very interesting to notice the relation ( feeling ) beetween the pronounciation ( even if it is not exactly the right pronounciation) and the movements. And it is more interesting when you have an idea of the meaning of the name of the movements.

If you have the chance to see the video and know more about the last tree sounds ,Let me know. Thanks again and au plaisir de vous relire.
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi John,

It's been quite a while since I heard Master Yang call out these moves and my Chinese was even worse than It is now.
The others words " triden " is when we push with our elbow and our hand the saber in front of us and quaden is when we slash diagonally after having turn around.
I think I recall Master Yang saying something like tuidao (推刀)(push the saber) and Kuadao (跨刀); however, I am really unsure of the latter. If my recollection is correct, it might mean something like "cut across".
The last one "Quanto" is when we block horizontally from left to right with the help of our left hand touching our right wrist before doing the Thrust .
I remember this as something like huandao (环刀)(circle the sword?).

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Audi
John Shaw

Post by John Shaw »

Hi Audi,
Thats answered my question. Thanks for your help . Its is an addition to our practice. I appreciate this possibility to exchange about questions coming from our daily pratice. :D