Migraine

laurahill

Migraine

Post by laurahill »

Hi,I am 26 years old,I am suffering from migraine headache problem for last 2 years...Is tai chi method are helpful for me to cure my problem..Please recommend some good treatment for Migraine..
thanks!!
DPasek

Re: Migraine

Post by DPasek »

I am not a physician, so I cannot really answer your question, but you may be able to get some information from the following web site (or other sites that address migraines and acupuncture treatments):

http://www.acupuncture-treatment.com/he ... raine.html

If your migraines are caused by stress/fatigue rather than a lack of sleep or oversleeping, skipping meals, hormonal changes, contraceptive pills, food allergies, hypersensitivity to nitrites/nitrates or MSG, barometric pressure changes (weather, altitudes), etc., then perhaps Taijiquan may help since some studies have shown that it helps relieve stress. Taijiquan is also thought to regulate the meridian channels found in traditional Chinese medicine. I think that if you have tried acupuncture and found it to be effective, then Taijiquan may be an effective preventative strategy that may reduce (or eventually eliminate) acupuncture treatments. If you have not obtained relief through acupuncture treatments, then I would suspect that Taijiquan may not help your specific type of migraines.

Note that “...prevention by avoiding accumulating stress...” is emphasized in the following quote from the above web site. For this, a regular practice of Taijiquan may be helpful, and I doubt that it would cause any harm (but may require long term practice as immediate results, to me, seem unlikely).
Compared to tension-type headaches, treatment during migraine attacks requires extra care and consideration. The relaxation response typically induced by the therapy may trigger or intensify the migraine for the reasons previously discussed. For migraine treatment, it is rather important to shift our focus to prevention by avoiding accumulating stress and minimizing the continuous hyperexcitation of the sympathetic nervous system in order to prevent eliciting the exaggerated parasympathetic rebound response. Theoretically, if the predevelopment stage of the migraine involving excessive vasoconstriction can be prevented, the entire headache episode can be avoided all together.
You may also want to check the following thread (or search the forum for other posts concerning stress):

http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/phpBB3/ ... ?f=8&t=745
Jaxi

Post by Jaxi »

If you shift your head slightly against chi pressure repetitively until the migraine is dulled, work it more and more until the 'off' area being noticed and worked on shifts. Keep doing this until there is nothing off in your body, and you'll not only have perfect health, but be a great qi gong master I would be proud to know. Thanks, and good luck.
ChiDragon

Post by ChiDragon »

Jaxi wrote:If you shift your head slightly against chi pressure repetitively until the migraine is dulled,.....
Greeting! Jaxi

What is "Chi pressure"?
Is this a common terminology?

Thanks!
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
Jaxi

Post by Jaxi »

Lol, sorry, chi pressure is literally a feeling of the chi 'pressing'... Refer to tai chi classics which speak of 'swimming in air' etc. While doing the tai chi forms, it is considered proper practice to feel the chi energy both swirling all throughout you body, as well as surrounding you. This causes a feeling like you have to use more effort to force your way through the denser air. Just remember this: feel the chi clearly.

I've done qi gong exercises in my early days of practice which built so much chi that I would occasionally move the wrong way into it. Sometimes this would sink through me and hurt. For lack of a better simple description, it felt like a ghost slapped my brain.

When doing it carefully and subtly, you can pressure into the 'chi field' that you have developed with intention. Simply move your head like a cat who has just licked its paw, and is proceeding to rub its head/face into its paw... giving itself a 'bath'. Just like that, but the 'paw' is the chi field. Writh, roll, undulate, rub into - against the chi feeling the area of discomfort and once it feels better: keep tracing the feeling of discomfort until you have no 'off' feeling. If you actually kept sensing them and working them into a healthy condition by pressuring the chi into them, and there is no longer anything that seems 'off': you will be cured.

Good luck.