The Dao of Taijiquan

ruben

The Dao of Taijiquan

Post by ruben »

Hi everybody.
Reading The Dao of Taijiquan, from Master Jou, Tsung Hwa (spanish version), chapter 1.7, Learning standard forms, he talks about Yang Style´s applications and about a two people form. He says that, first, one must learn two different sequences, consisting of 44 postures each. Usually referred as parts A and B. Postures are taken directly from Yang Form, but cleverly combined so as to each posture from A, combine with another posture from B. Once learned both parts, two partners can practice together in a fluid way.
Does anybody know something about this exercise?
Thanks,

Rubén
Audi

Re: The Dao of Taijiquan

Post by Audi »

Hi Rubén,

According to FAQ #3 on this page of this site, the two-person sparring set was created by a student of Yang Chengfu named Chen Yanling. On the east coast of the U.S., Jay Dunbar & Kathleen Cusick are known for running a seminar on this set, and you can find more information about it here.

There is also a description and analysis of one version of the set in Advanced Yang Style Tai Chi Chuan, Volume Two: Martial Applications by Dr. Yang Jwing-Ming, pp 160-215. A more recent book, Tai Chi Chuan Martial Applications seems to have the same information listed in its Table of Contents, but I have only examined it on the amazon.com site (click on Search inside this book) and cannot confirm that it is the same information.

I have seen a little of this set in person, since one of my former teachers knew one side of it. It looked quite interesting and contained some applications I had not seen before. I believe it can be done with constant contact or with at least some disconnection. Others may have better information. I was quite keen to learn the set at one point, but now have learned enough traditional applications and moving step patterns that I am not looking for more forms to learn.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Audi
DPasek

Post by DPasek »

Rubén,

I learned two versions of this routine, one similar to what is shown in the following clip and the other (with the same sequence of movements, but slightly different ways of applying them – different emphases) from Jay & Kathleen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3hAepZq ... re=related

DP
ruben

Post by ruben »

Thanks Audi for your explanation. Very clear and detailed, as usual.
Thanks DPasek for the link. It is very interesting.
When I began learning Gong Fu, Eagle Claw Stile, I learned a form called 18 Combat Steps or Shi Ba Bu Quan. It was a form for two people, but one could perform it continuosly. I joined some competitions with very good results. I remember me thinking how ingenious was people who created it. The same as in this case.
Regards,

Rubén
ruben

Post by ruben »

Hi.
I made a little mistake. The form was called "Eight Combat Steps" or Ba Bu Quan, Ba Bo Kune in Cantonese.
Regards,

Rubén
treesplant

Post by treesplant »

Hi,
i've been practicising with Wutan International in the UK with Geoff Edwards and Barbara Donne - the uk head and their teacer is Thay Soon Than - i've been learning Long Yang as the foundation form (with Sun and Hou added later) we have recently started on this 88 move 2 person tai chi set which they call 'san shou' - it certainly helps to give more insight into the form and applicationsm - regards, Gary