Peng - Ji - Lu - An

Isaac888

Peng - Ji - Lu - An

Post by Isaac888 »

Dear Audi,

I must thank you profusely for the kind advice on this subject of Peng-Ji-Lu-An.
I must feel that the discussion be contained in the Push hands context and do apologize for forwarding the questions in the "You Tube of Yang Cheng Fu" forum.

I feel that the experience shown and the expression made from all your replies has greatly educate me and I hope the others on the subject thrown to the forum.

Last week, I had the chance to practice the Peng-Ji-Lu An format again. I discovered that (if I may) in the instance when I am engaging the LU (when I have my left palm under the opponents right elbow) while still in my forward stance, I could break the opponent spine. (really dangerous). Instead of rolling back, all I need to do is apply a fast and hard jerk (twisting the opponent's right arm ) I could probably break his spine or his left knee. Is this allowed in competition?

This is my second exposure to the Peng-Ji-Lu-An push hand form and i am getting the gist of it. However, it will take many more effort to be really good at this technique. More so when I do not have the feel of my internal energies as some would have felt. I am still searching for a master who can part this energy teaching with me.

Thank you very much for your kind contribution and advice.
Indebted always.

Cheers

Isaac
Audi

Re: Peng - Ji - Lu - An

Post by Audi »

Hi Isaac,

It's great to see that you are continuing with the push hands circles. You should really have a lot of fun with it and help your understanding of Tai Chi.
I could probably break his spine or his left knee. Is this allowed in competition?
I do not compete, and so have little knowledge of the rules; however, I believe all competitions forbid excessive force and dangerous techniques on ethical and moral grounds.

As for Peng, Lu, Ji, An, all of these can be used safely, but all can be used to harm. It depends on the practitioner's understanding of energy. When I teach, I sometimes touch on the difference (to the extent I understand it) to make sure that the practice stays safe or to make sure that students do not develop bad defensive habits that may seem safer, but that actually might make them more vulnerable.

My understanding of the vertical double-hand circle is that it is one of the basic circles of our push hands. This is the circle we use to start teaching applications, once students become comfortable with most of the other circles. There is a great deal you can do with it.

Before you are actually taught applications, there are advantages and disadvantages to seeing the circles from that viewpoint. I think it is best to follow your teacher, but usually there is more disadvantage than advantage. If you move too soon to think in terms of applications, you run the risk of thinking too externally or in a way that violates what Sunzi taught (i.e., "How victory may be produced for them out of the enemy's own tactics--that is what the multitude cannot comprehend. All men can see the tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved."). Usually it is best to concentrate on the various aspects of sticking or on listening, understanding, and neutralizing. Once you feel comfortable with this, you will have a quite different understanding of how applications actually work or how they can work. If you practice Fajin, you will have yet another perspective that will change your understanding of what is possible and what is effective.

Take care,
Audi