Yang Zhenji video

Louis Swaim

Yang Zhenji video

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings,

I'm not sure anyone has posted this clip. It's a lengthy clip on Yang Zhenji. About 4:53 is when his solo form begins, followed by the jian, then the dao forms. I think he would have been about seventy here.

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMjk5OTk2MDg0.html

Take care,
Louis
Audi

Re: Yang Zhenji video

Post by Audi »

Greetings Louis,

Very nice. Thanks for posting. His energy and spirit are a joy to see.

By the way, do you know why the narrator seems to say Yang "Chenpu," rather than Yang "Chengfu"? Is this a reading pronunciation based on another standard? I think I have heard or seen "chenpu" before (along with "Dengfu" or "Dengpu"), but did not know why it was done and didn't know if it was a typo or a problem with different accents. I think that 甫 may have an alternate pronunciation of pu3, but what about "chen"? As far as I am aware, the family pronounces his name as cheng2 fu5 or cheng2 fu3 and would assume that everyone taught by the family would follow that.

Take care,
Audi
Louis Swaim

Re: Yang Zhenji video

Post by Louis Swaim »

Hi Audi,

Yes, I really like Yang Zhenji's form. It's very inspiring and motivating to watch.

As for narrator's pronunciation of Yang Chengfu's name, I don't know the explanation. I've heard people pronounce 甫 in his name 'pu', (mostly southerners), but I haven't encountered "Chenpu."

--Louis