Energía 'Jiang Jin'

David Walther

Energía 'Jiang Jin'

Post by David Walther »

Hello, some days ago I asked about the energy 'jiang jin'. My question about this energy was originated to read the article "Exploring Push Hands" printed in the newsletters Tai Chi Chuan number 18. In that interesting article, writing by Lance Lu, he says:
"...His movements are connected and smooth, his whole body working as one unit, very calm and relaxed.I can feel no stiffness (jiang jin) anywhere in his body..."
What does 'jiang jin'mean?
Thanks.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

jiang means 'stiff', 'wooden'. Jiangjin 'stiff energy' is a kind of clumsy stiffness which lacks sensitivity or the ability to change.
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings David,

It would be difficult to know for certain what was meant by "jiang jin" without seeing the Chinese characters. There is a word pronounced jiang(1) that does mean stiff, numb, or rigid, but I don't think I've seen it paired with any word pronounced jin. There is no technical taijiquan compuoud term that I'm familiar with called "jiang jin." I would guess that the author was using "jiang" as an adjective for jin (strength, energy), and something undesireable.

Take care,
Louis