FAN Fom

sabre, sword, spear, etc
ELDER

FAN Fom

Post by ELDER »

Yesterday I saw a FAN form exibition with movements very similar as in the saber form.

Does the TC Yang Style has a FAN form ?
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Elder,

I have not seen it alleged anywhere that the fan was a traditional Taiji weapon or one taught by the main families. As far as I know, it is not part of the system currently taught by the Yang family.

As I am sure you are aware, however, there are many Taiji fan forms around. I believe they were all created and/or adapted quite recently from other arts.

From what I have read, Taijiquan originated in a geographic and historical context where the emphasis was on defense in battlefield combat or against highway banditry, rather than personal defense in an alleyway, etc. As a result, I think little thought was given to weapons such as fans or to aspects of fighting such as grappling that were inappropriate to such contexts.

Take care,
Audi
ELDER

Post by ELDER »

Really ?
I though it was a traditional weapon as the sword and the saber.
Do you know which was the MA that inserted the FAN as a weapon ?
artyeo

Re: FAN Fom

Post by artyeo »

Can anyone here know how to hold a fan?
I mean the does the 4 finger on the face and the thumb on the back of the fan ?
DPasek

Post by DPasek »

artyeo wrote:Can anyone here know how to hold a fan?
If you are asking which side the thumb should be on (the ‘face’ or decorated side vs. the ‘back’ or plain side), then I do not think it matters. In the form that I practice, I start with the thumb on the decorated side, but later in the form the fan gets switched such that the thumb ends up on the undecorated side.

If you are asking how to hold the open fan, then you would want the thumb on one side pushing one outer rib open while the little finger (of the four fingers on the other side) pushes open the other outer rib in the opposite direction (keeping the fan completely open).

Going from closed to open would usually involve holding one outer rib between the thumb and index finger while using the little finger pushing open the other outer rib (done along with the momentum of the form movement, or by using gravity, to open the fan). The fan should typically snap open and then stay completely open (it should not open and then rebound partially closed again, but should open and stay fully open – thus the importance of the way that the little finger is used).

Sometimes the fan will be allowed to partially close before being popped open again during a movement (fajin with the fan open) by initially relaxing the opening caused by the thumb and little finger followed by reestablishing the grip for the fully open fan at the moment it pops fully open; this snap can be done either when pushing the fan forward or pulling it backward. When pushing forward, the fan will be allowed to close slightly and then pushing it forward will cause the fan to reopen fully, simultaneously with the opening actions of the thumb and little finger. When pulling it backward, when the hand stops moving back the momentum of the movement will cause the fan to pop open in coordination with the actions of the thumb and little finger spreading the outer ribs.
artyeo

Post by artyeo »

DPasek wrote:
artyeo wrote:Can anyone here know how to hold a fan?
If you are asking which side the thumb should be on (the ‘face’ or decorated side vs. the ‘back’ or plain side), then I do not think it matters. In the form that I practice, I start with the thumb on the decorated side, but later in the form the fan gets switched such that the thumb ends up on the undecorated side.

If you are asking how to hold the open fan, then you would want the thumb on one side pushing one outer rib open while the little finger (of the four fingers on the other side) pushes open the other outer rib in the opposite direction (keeping the fan completely open).

Going from closed to open would usually involve holding one outer rib between the thumb and index finger while using the little finger pushing open the other outer rib (done along with the momentum of the form movement, or by using gravity, to open the fan). The fan should typically snap open and then stay completely open (it should not open and then rebound partially closed again, but should open and stay fully open – thus the importance of the way that the little finger is used).

Sometimes the fan will be allowed to partially close before being popped open again during a movement (fajin with the fan open) by initially relaxing the opening caused by the thumb and little finger followed by reestablishing the grip for the fully open fan at the moment it pops fully open; this snap can be done either when pushing the fan forward or pulling it backward. When pushing forward, the fan will be allowed to close slightly and then pushing it forward will cause the fan to reopen fully, simultaneously with the opening actions of the thumb and little finger. When pulling it backward, when the hand stops moving back the momentum of the movement will cause the fan to pop open in coordination with the actions of the thumb and little finger spreading the outer ribs.
Tks DPasek for your clear instruction ... do appreciate it .
now I am doing the tai chi kungfu fan by "lee de yin"
their 4 finger on the face side (decorated side) thumb on the back side . I do the other way round
cos when you come to "huai zhong bao yue" the face (decorated side) is facing outward and looks nice and also when you come to the ending " wang gong ser hu " ( 弯弓射虎) the decorated side faces out and will look nice ... so want is your opinion ....