Staff/Stick forms

sabre, sword, spear, etc
Bill Rush

Staff/Stick forms

Post by Bill Rush »

I am new to Tai Chi(1 year)I wonder if anyone can help me find materials about Yang Style Tai Chi Stick forms? I assume that there are stick-forms, as I have searched the net and been able to locate places selling 'Yang staff form' videos, for what look like quite a lot of money to a volutary worker like myself. I have had no luck, however,in finding a site that shows postures or gives links on that particular subject that could form the basis for a bit of exploration and learning.
My second question would be is there a 'standard' set of sticks used, rather like in Aikido, and,if so, what are they?
I'd be very grateful for any information anyone could give me.

Bill (Istanbul)
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Bill,

Yang Chengfu’s earlier book, Taijiquan shiyongfa (Application Methods of Taijiquan), included a section on spear/staff, with photos and some brief explanations. My understanding is that the techniques for spear and staff were essentially the same. Fu Zhongwen definitely worked with staff techniques. I recall an Australian student of Fu Shengyuan relating a story about Fu Zhongwen coming to visit, and going into her backyard to cut a couple of large pieces of bamboo growing there to use for a staff demo.

In a related discussion last year, Jerry linked a page from Chip Ellis’ website that has the photos from the early Yang Chengfu book. The photos are of Tian Zhaoling and Dong Yingjie:

http://www.chipellis.com/Pictures/Spear ... ar_set.htm

Mr. Ellis also wrote some very good descriptions of his own training in the staff. I would not attempt to learn this from a video; one really needs to learn from a teacher.

Take care,
Louis
Bill Rush

Post by Bill Rush »

Thanks for that Louis. I will at least be able to get some idea. Finding a tai chi teacher in Istanbul proved difficult enough, so finding a teacher to learn Yang Style stick-forms from may be like trying to find that proverbial needle.
Thanks again for the help.
Bill.
shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

Bill,

The best way is to learn any formal staff form and integrate with your Yang style experience. This is the better way in lieu of finding someone who actually does Chengfu's application. One can see integration in this way!
Bill Rush

Post by Bill Rush »

Yes, I thought about that too.Infact I learned a basic aikido kata and tried to apply taiji principles to it. Fun, but taiji? I dunno...
thanks for the advice anyway.
Bill.