Sword form variations

sabre, sword, spear, etc
VR

Sword form variations

Post by VR »

In the Zheng Man Qing sword form the falling flowers sequence lasts for six steps. This can be seen in clips of ZMQ and some of his students. It is also the way I was taught.

In Chen Wei Ming's book and Kobayashi's book there are only four steps at this point.

Another difference is that in the ZMQ form after the wing swirls the lotus leaves we essentially go straight into the pegasus jumps the stream. In the above books the form takes two retreating steps.

Are these the only differences in the forms or are there others?

What really puzzles me is that the lion shakes its head seems to have been removed from the form, but it still seems to appear in posture lists for the form.
shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

VR,

That is the history of any art. Some teachers leave stuff out based on forgetfulness, habit of doing the form or using their degree of development, just do not feel it may be important.

All forms are like that and taiji dao or jian is no diferent.
jonnypunk

Re:

Post by jonnypunk »

[quote="shugdenla"]VR,

That is the history of any art. Some teachers leave stuff out based on forgetfulness, habit of doing the form or using their degree of development, just do not feel it may be important.

All forms are like that and taiji dao or jian is no diferentI

I want to know more about Zheng Man Qing sword.. :?
A man with a briefcase can steal millions more than any man with a defense pepper spray.
Isaac888

Re: Sword form variations

Post by Isaac888 »

Luo Hua Shi - Falling Flower.
ZMQ is a short guy, thus, doing six of the falling flower he still has lots of room to maneuver. For us 5 is enough....6 will see us having our back hitting the wall or a cut on our back.
Imagine executing six and moving on to You Nu Chuan Suo. (not much power to pierce the dog skull)

But all is not wrong, probably ZMQ did it right for he was taught by Grandmaster Yang Cheng Fu and it has 6 lou hua shi in the sword form. (one gotta ask Yang Jun about this)
The forms gets lesser in time. I heard that the original Yang style has 300 over forms and from this it went down to 108 then 103. It was said that someone in the Yang hierarchy made it tolerable for the mass by reducing the number of forms.
This is thought provoking and just my inference. I might be wrong and do apologize in advance if had offended anyone.

In very fact, I had practiced the Yang Style tai chi from another group prior to our joining the Yang Cheng Fu Association.
There will many variation which differs from the Yang Cheng Fu form and you know what they says about old habit dies hard.
Anyway, its good to have a regulated body with regulated form instead of every centre having their very own version of what Yang Cheng Fu was teaching. Funny, no one mentioned about Yang Zhen Dao's teaching.
What happened, was there no star model , no bright student like ZMQ and others, no legendary heroes from YZD reign.

Too many inferences. Too tired to think.. gotta have some nicotine to dilute the anxieties.

Cheers.
Isaac888