The Yang, Jwing Ming Sword Form.

sabre, sword, spear, etc
Simon Batten

The Yang, Jwing Ming Sword Form.

Post by Simon Batten »

Because, for geographical and other reasons, I have not been able to go to my Grandmaster's classes in London for 6 months (I moved away from London) I decided to teach myself a sword form from a book and DVD by Yang Jwing Ming. I had already studied some Chen style sword with the Grandmaster (he teaches Chen style sword as well as Yang style, but just the Yang style barehand form), so I was familiar with basic postures such as the crossed legged and empty stance which are similar in all sword forms. I have now finished my self-tuition and do Yang Jwing Ming's sword form every day in the park as well as the barehand form.
I also bought Yang Zhen Duo's sword form DVD and there are marked differences, to say the least. In fact, although the sequence of movements is the same between Yang Jwing Ming's and Yang Zhen Duo's, the content within the movements is radically different. Does anyone know the derivation of Yang Jwing Ming's sword form, so different from Yang Zhen Duo's? Despite the differences, Yang Jwing Ming's seems very authentic, and every movement is justified in terms of the applications which are presented in detail in both his book and his DVD. Perhaps Yang Jwing Ming's is an earlier version of Yang Cheng Fu's sword form, or perhaps a later one. By the way, I don't want to start a thread on the relative merits or otherwise of learning forms from books and DVDs. I did what I had to do! Regards, Simon
shugdenla

Post by shugdenla »

Simon,
Form differences seem to be the norm and there is no one group who will perform the same form the same. Rarely happens.
Just enjoy the difference and see how the application works out.

It seems that the art phase is more circular and longer and the 'martial' phases are perhaps 'faster' and more abrupt! (striking/qi'na).

DVD is great when you know a particular
form(s). Yang Jwing Ming knows others arts so that arts structure is manifested in his routine.
Simon Batten

Post by Simon Batten »

Shugdenla: thanks for your reply which is reassuring. Certainly every movement in Yang Jwing Ming's form is backed up by an application in both the book and the DVD, which really helps when practising his form, as you can do it with the right intention. Kind regards, Simon.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by shugdenla:
<B>Simon,
Form differences seem to be the norm and there is no one group who will perform the same form the same. Rarely happens.
Just enjoy the difference and see how the application works out.

It seems that the art phase is more circular and longer and the 'martial' phases are perhaps 'faster' and more abrupt! (striking/qi'na).

DVD is great when you know a particular
form(s). Yang Jwing Ming knows others arts so that arts structure is manifested in his routine.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>