Spear Form

sabre, sword, spear, etc
zhong

Spear Form

Post by zhong »

It seems that Spear Forms involve upward/high strikes as well as low ones. Would I be right in that they were developed on the battlefield for dealing with riders/cavalry as well as with those on the ground?
TaijiSufi

Re: Spear Form

Post by TaijiSufi »

sounds like the best logical answer. I know the guando of the chen family weapon form was done specifically to attack horsemen (and horses). slice the horses knee with the top blade then maybe use the back end as a spear for the fallen soldier fighting you.

Bearing in mind chen family trained paid members of fighters to guard important caravans/nobles/travel round china it seems entirely feasable that the spear/long weapon forms were made for battlefield use. perhaps someone may correct me if im wrong?
ruben

Re: Spear Form

Post by ruben »

Mmmm...
I think that spear´s technics are focused mostly on thrusting neck, heart and knee, not to attack horsemen, though once on the battlefield, soldiers should use what they could.
Against cavalry, I think, as Taijisufi said, guandao or pudao were more specifically designed. Japanese used their "naginata".
Kind regards,

Rubén