Official Yang Family Sword

sabre, sword, spear, etc
Steveg219

Official Yang Family Sword

Post by Steveg219 »

Hello,

can anyone provide more information about the swords that are available for sale on this site? I would like to know the weight and balance point of both the standard and the grooved. Does anyone have them and/or know this information?

thanks
Steveg219

Post by Steveg219 »

New Grooved Sword

New Ordered by the Yang Family, this new style of sword is made of high-tempered combat steel, perfectly weighted, with a ridge running down the center of the blade. This is the finest mass-produced Tai Chi sword available.

-----------------

Well no one else replied so I went ahead and got one. I have to agree with the description, that these are the best mass produced swords available. With the tassel, it has perfect balance and a very nice feel. You can spend a lot of time and money searching for a good practice sword, this is the clearly the one to get until you are ready to spend a lot more money for something handmade and more substantial. Thank you to the Yang Family for making this available!
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Yes, the quality is quite good on the swords sold by the association. The design is a traditional family style which is not generally available elsewhere, particularly the sabres.
danmitrut

Re: Official Yang Family Sword

Post by danmitrut »

hi,
I would like to ask what is the optimal (best possible) weight for a practice sword. I have two swords: one has 2 lb 12 ounces and the other one has 1lb 6 oz.

Please tell me, what is the weight of the sword distributed by Yang Family?

sincerly, dan
willow12

Post by willow12 »

Hi,
I am planning this year to start the sword form. What is the difference between empty hand and sword form or is this just an extention of your arm (maybe). Is there any difference in movements or approaches towards the form?

With Regards
Bob
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Bob,

Code: Select all

What is the difference between empty hand and sword form or is this just an extention of your arm (maybe). Is there any difference in movements or approaches towards the form?
As I understand it, you do want to get to the point that the sword feels like an extension of your arm. Another way of saying this is that you feel you can use the sword as you would a part of your arm. You also become very aware of the different parts of the sword--the tassel, the hilt, the edge, the blade, the point, etc.--and can focus your intent wherever it is needed.

The sword form follows the same Ten Essentials and pretty much the same basic theories as the empty-hand form; however, the energies, or Jins, are different. Rather than Wardoff, Rollback, Press, etc., you learn things like draw cuts, stabs, thrusts, hits, etc.

The sword form is also done at a different pace than the empty-hand form and also with more flow. In the empty-hand flow, you generally try to show complete outward separation of the weight, with total control of your momentum. In the sword and saber forms, you often shift weight only partially between the legs if this will help the flow. There are also a fair number of new stances that do not appear in the empty-hand form and a different ratio of the stances that do.

Take care,
Audi