liability insurance?

smalltown

liability insurance?

Post by smalltown »

Someone in my community of 2000 people wants to teach free t'ai chi in the park. She was told she needs liability insurance to teach free ad-hoc, come-if-you-want to classes there. This is the town's usual way of keeping everyone and everything out of the park.

When I went to Toronto's High Park a few weeks ago, I saw small classes like this all over the park. Do those free tai chi teachers usually get liability insurance? How could you afford it when you teach for free?
Drew

Re: liability insurance?

Post by Drew »

Hello Smalltown,

I agree with your sentiment, but there is a solution, at least here in the U.S. There are several companies that offer insurance policies for yoga/fitness instructors which also cover t'ai chi ch'uan instructors. I purchased such a policy to teach in a county-run facility here in Florida. It cost me $179 for one year. I understand that this may seem quite a lot for someone who is teaching for free, but it does grant that individual some degree of legitimacy. Here is a link to one provider. You can Google "tai chi instructor insurance" for others.

https://www.alternativebalance.net/fitn ... 7Aodn3oAiQ

Best of luck,

Andrew