bibliography

Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Louis,
Quite a few people have told me something that I don't think I quite understood until just now seeing these photos, only a couple of which I've seen before. Well, that's not true, this might be the sequence of photo's from that the Wu family has playing in streaming format on the front page of their website, but I've never seen them all together as stills.
I get told all the time that my Yang forms remind people of the photo's of Wu Chien Chuan's earliest forms.
I get told this by both the Wu and Yang family stylists that I know, all the time.
Not so much since the seminar, but before that I got it all the time. Especially from the Wu guys, though, because they've all seen these photos.
I guess it only makes sense, because I learned the Wu forms, then the Yang forms. When you combine these two forms, as my body inevitably does and did more before I got seminared, you're going to end up with something that looks like a conglomeration of the two.
Which is what these photo's do look like.
I especially note the arm up above his head in White Cranse Spreads Wings, the 45 degree placement of his back heel in many of the postures.
These kind of little things, and many more, that show the progression back to the Yang family quite well.
I, being from the background I am, see more Yang style in these photo's than Wu style. Of course I see the Wu style in the forms, but to my eye, used to seventeen years of Wu style as it exists today (fourth and fifth gen.) see much more Yang style influence in this set.
Just me, maybe, but that's how I see it.
I've been drinking these photos in all afternoon. I have even cut one into a desktop background, and I'm sure I'll do more, so it's bigger and I can see it clearly all the time.
Can you guess which one? You got it, the White Crane Spreads Wings photo.
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

I stand corrected, the streaming video along the side of the screen on the Wu family website no longer plays all the time, like it used to. Now it's a very short few shots strung together on the home page as it opens, then it stops.
I miss it.
It ate up my bandwidth, though, so I can see why they probably knocked it off.
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by JerryKarin:
There is a short essay in the Xu Zhiyi book called (roughly) 'the basis in physics of martial taijiquan' which I am thinking of translating.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Greetings Jerry,

That would be great! Douglas Woolidge translated several chapters from Xu Zhiyi's book for T'ai Chi Magazine. The one on physics appeared in Vol. 27:1, Feb. 2003.

It's very interesting information, full of nuance that's difficult to render, so it's certainly worth revisiting.

Take care,
Louis
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Oh, did he already get that? I seldom read the mag anymore. Guess it's not worth it.
Markus

Re:

Post by Markus »

JerryKarin wrote:There is a short essay in the Xu Zhiyi book called (roughly) 'the basis in physics of martial taijiquan' which I am thinking of translating.
Hi JK, did you by the time do some translation from Xu Zhiyis Book?