Yang Style Tai Chi documentary

Bob Ashmore

Yang Style Tai Chi documentary

Post by Bob Ashmore »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-UjhSuk2Q

I followed a link from a Facebook friend and was very surprised when I found this waiting for me.
Everyone else here may have already seen it but it was new to me so I figured I'd post it here for everyone to enjoy.
It's in Chinese so I don't understand about 90% of what is being said but I still enjoyed watching it.

Bob
Audi

Re: Yang Style Tai Chi documentary

Post by Audi »

Hi Bob,

Thanks for posting this. I had not seen it before, and viewing it led me back to some fond memories of seminars led by Master Yang Zhenduo. I also see some pictures of some folks I know, including one of my teachers.

When you first linked to it, I thought it was just a documentary about Tai Chi and its history, but when I examined it more closely today, I realized that most of it actually deals with what Tai Chi is and its principles.

One place you may want to look at is at 22:18, where are famous cheng and deng are discussed. There Master Yang begins by alluding to the fact the movements have Yin-Yang opposites like opening and closing, large (?) and small (?), and leg thrusting and propping up (cheng and deng). He says that to balance the forward movement, you have to prop up or support the movement backward to avoid losing balance. He then shows the heel-to-ball-to-toe movement, ending with showing how the legs and arm/hands should arrive together.

You may also be interested in this video, which I discovered after looking at Yang Zhenduo's video. It tells the story of a certain Taijiquan School near Microsoft's Headquarters in Seattle. I see several friends I have not seen for a while, but you might be most interested in 17:00 through 22:00, when Master Yang Jun goes through the basic push hands curriculum, focusing on applications of the Eight Jins.

Take care,
Audi
ruben

Post by ruben »

Thank you Bob and Audi.
Videos are wonderful for us who practice Yang Family Taijiquan.
It would be a great thing that someone could translate videos to english, don´t you think? Maybe these documentals should be uploaded to Association´s website.
Regards,

Rubén
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Audi,
I emailed these links to Jim, all of our students, Han, Carl and my mother.
I figured they'd enjoy them as much as we did.
I also posted the link to this discussion so those who don't speak Chinese (obviously Han is not going to have that problem!) can understand at least some small part of what is going on.
Jim and Han are with Yang Laoshi in MI, he held a push hand seminar there this morning, but I doubt they'll see this before he leaves since it ends at 4 p.m. and it's 3:45 now.

Anyway, maybe we'll get some interesting posts here from this.

Bob