Differences between dai (带) jian and chou (抽) jian

sabre, sword, spear, etc
petr

Differences between dai (带) jian and chou (抽) jian

Post by petr »

Greetings All,
I would like to ask you about your opinion on the differences between dai (带) jian and chou (抽) jian techniques. Some authors differentiate them in terms of direction the particular technique is performed – one going from left to right , the other from right to left, others by using horizontal or vertical blade, some do not differentiate them at all. What do you think?

Thank you,
Petr :-)
Audi

Re: Differences between dai (带) jian and chou (抽) jian

Post by Audi »

Greetings Petr,

I am unsure of the difference, if any, Masters Yang Zhenduo and Yang Jun have taught. What I think I recall was a reference to an inward drawing cut as chōu (抽) and a right to left curving horizontal sweep as dài (带). In both cases, the point remained pointing forward throughout the movement.

Chōu (抽) means to "draw" or "pull," and dài (带) can mean to "bring/carry along." I think the idea for us could be that chōu (抽) applies to any move in which the important part of the movement entails drawing the sword in. For dài (带), the idea is to control the opponent's blade by bringing its energy in and to the side.

Take care,
Audi
ChiDragon

Re: Differences between dai (带) jian and chou (抽) jian

Post by ChiDragon »

Greetings,
It is wise try not to do a direct translation from the Chinese characters in the terms. It has no significant meaning just by the character themselves. It has to go by the definitions of the inventors of the movements.

Here are the descriptions of the actual movements
1. dai (带) jian is to sweep the sword horizontally across in front of you, in either directions, from left to right or right to left.

In the following video at 1:0 to 1:05 is dai (带) jian
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrGZXgTP-ZA

2. chou (抽) jian is to draw the sword back. The focus is on the handle of the sword. The handle is in the leading direction by drawing it back, in a circular motion, either from the upper front toward the rear or upper rear toward the front.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.