silk reeling

BBTrip

Re: silk reeling

Post by BBTrip »

Greeting UniTaichi,

I understand of most your reply, and yet…I feel as though I’m missing something. Ah, it’s minor, so…

More importantly, I feel as if I’ve barged in and derailed this thread from its question of Silk Reeling. And, in order not to take it further off course, I feel my reply should be brief.

Your explanation that “outside is soft 綿, inside is steel 剛”, makes a ton sense. Thank you so much for sharing your insight. It is very kind of you.

As far as Chen Taiji being the same as Shaolin Lohan, I don’t have much of an opinion to offer…so, all I can do is try to follow your conversation with Audi on that particular matter.

Look forward to reading more of posts.

☮☮☮
UniTaichi

Post by UniTaichi »

Hi BBTrip,

I am actually the one that derailed the thread but the points of differences brought up by Audi was too good to miss at that point of time. My apology.
Your explanation that “outside is soft 綿, inside is steel 剛”, makes a ton sense.
I am glad it make a ton (of) sense to you. Because it make no(n)sense to most. :wink:
As far as Chen Taiji being the same as Shaolin Lohan
Again the above is not what I wrote. I wrote that on RSF forum, Ken Fish commented that the Chen style ZZ(zhang zhong) is very similar to Shaolin Lohan Zhong Gong. I brought this up because earlier, I quote someone ( and a few other TJQ Grandmasters) has said that Chen style is actually Shaolin Canon Fist.

Cheers,
UniTaichi
BBTrip

Post by BBTrip »

UniTaichi wrote:
As far as Chen Taiji being the same as Shaolin Lohan
Again the above is not what I wrote.
Forgive me for misquoting you.

No matter who said it, I got super uncomfortable with the subject of Chen style not being Taiji. I didn’t want to give the appearance of any kind of judgment. My focus was on being polite and to move past the matter as quickly as possible.

That does not excuse me, because even with my discomfort with the subject, I should have been careful. Hopefully, I’ll take more time before posting on subjects I find that uncomfortable. In fact, the next time someone asks me that on a public forum I may not even respond.
UniTaichi wrote:
Your explanation that “outside is soft 綿, inside is steel 剛”, makes a ton sense.
I am glad it make a ton (of) sense to you. Because it make no(n)sense to most. :wink:
Also, I feel I should clarify what I meant with my reply.

I may have given you the impression that your translation somehow...invalidates the translations I posted earlier. It may have been more accurate for me to say I understand why you would translate the phrase as you have.

I hope that does not come off as disrespectful or as a rebuff to your point of view. But, I don't want to be disrespectful toward the other translations as well or give the impression that I somehow think they are inferior to your translation.
I hope you get the gist of what I'm trying to say because this is my best attempt at a clarification that I can come up with at the moment.

It harks back to what I stated in my first response to you.
BBTrip wrote: who am I to tell you different.
meghdad

Post by meghdad »

Dear Friends,
Although I know that most of you have already read this in the journal but I think it is quite relavant to the discussion here about Silk Reeling and Yang Style.
Master Yang Jun:

when we are talking about the Chen style, they use the method they call “silk reeling”. We don’t use the term silk reeling. If you look at the way thread is made from the fibers, you have to twist and you have to pull evenly or the silk will tear. The Chen style explains that you must unify straight movements with circular movements to create spiraling movements. They have a more detailed way to talk about when to have this type of coordination through the waist, through the back, through the arm rotating, which angle is inside, which angle is outside, and the balance of the positions throughout the movement.

They have clearly defined this. For the rest of us, we have a simpler idea. We don’t talk about when and where, but actually, we are doing something very similar. By studying this method with the Chen family, you can gain a deeper understanding of where this exists in other forms. Our rotating and circling is similar to theirs in theory, but we do it differently. In the end, you will find out that even though we don’t have a name for it, we are working with the same idea.
So I think, this kind of spiraling movement is present in every posture in Yang Family Style, as Audi mentioned, but expressed in a slightly different way and is not as apparent as performed in Chen style. It is the same story as Jin expression. We have it in Yang style in all movements although it is not released in the form like Chen Style practitioners do during form practice, we practice it in solo movements. The method of expression is different but the root is the same.

Best Regards,
Meghdad
BBTrip

Post by BBTrip »

Thanks for sharing! :)
☮☮☮