Push Hands without touching

Bob Ashmore

Re: Push Hands without touching

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Ah, fajin again.
Why, someone please tell me, does everyone automatically and immediately start mentioning fajin?
There are numerous types of jin expression. Myriad. A really, really whole lotta different types of jin.
And fajin is probably the least utilized of the jins in Tai Chi Chuan.
So it always kind of surprises me that simply everyone immediately starts talking about using fajin when we're discussing TCC.
If I had to choose just one Jin that I was going to focus on for TCC training, fajin is not what it would be.
What would I choose then?
Simple, for me.
I know how to pronounce it in Chinese, but I have no clue on how to spell it, not even using English characters, so first in English:
Silk Reeling
Now my horrible rendition of English character Chinese: Chan Si Jin
Why?
Because it's a TON more useful than fajin.
We use it throughout, in every posture.
Unlike fajin, which just means "explosive energy" and so can be even be applied to Silk Reeling jin if necessary.

I've said my piece on the "not touching" thing quite a few times, so will let my rants on that from the past stand rather than reiterate.
fchai

Post by fchai »

Greetings,
Just a little footnote. I also practice Hung Jia Quan and I express fajin with this form. I do not overtly express fajin when I practice the long form. The only other form I express fajin in, is in the Fast Tung family Taiji form. Another thought to consider, fajin may not be exclusive to Taiji. If you observe elite sports people, e.g. masterclass golfers, etc. they drive from the feet, governed by the waist and translate the energy through the hands and to the head of the club. Sounds very much like what we do in Taiji, doesn't it? A little tongue in cheek but something to consider. Lol.
Take care.
Frank
Parkallen

Post by Parkallen »

You're right there is a gap in tai chi conceptualization as regards the lower body and the energies, as well as the fist in the upper body. There is very little talk about energies with regard to those two parts of the body. However, there is not a complete dismissal of lower body energies. It's just that the energies discussed are not as definitively termed as they are for the 8 energies in the upper body.

Sinking energy for instance is one which has special significance for the lower body. Sinking certainly effects the entire body, but the lower body and the feet are the locus of sinking energy. The head's suspension from above, and the correlating droping of the body below which creates sinking is also a full body (and thus also lower body) type energy. The stepping like a cat, if taken as an energy, adds a third energy which applies only to the feet.

Regarding the question of jabs which also came up in this thread. I have wondered about this particular type of attack as well, and wondered about it in historical terms. Was that type of attack used in the early days of tai chi; does tai chi address this type of attack.... I have settled on a strong sense that this is not an historical issue. Certainly such attacks would have been used, if anything in more various ways then it is used today. Consider the single whip crane's beak, how it can be snapped or slashed out for very fast attacks. Also the ward off palm can be used for slapping.

My theory for the jab is to either move fast to parry, or preferably, make contact to the jabbing arm before it is sent out. Boxers typically hold up a guard position. It is not beneficial for a tai chi player to let a boxer do this, as it puts us at a great disadvantage to their superior jabing skills. Rather, make contact to one of the jabbing arms, just like engaging push hands, and now if they jab you can re-direct the force down or sideways. Aim to upset their balance or seal the area while doing that, otherwise they will continue to throw punches without reservation.
ChiDragon

Post by ChiDragon »

Bob Ashmore wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 7:43 pm Ah, fajin again.
Why, someone please tell me, does everyone automatically and immediately start mentioning fajin?

There are numerous types of jin expression. Myriad. A really, really whole lotta different types of jin.
And fajin is probably the least utilized of the jins in Tai Chi Chuan.
So it always kind of surprises me that simply everyone immediately starts talking about using fajin when we're discussing TCC.
If I had to choose just one Jin that I was going to focus on for TCC training, fajin is not what it would be.
What would I choose then?
Simple, for me.
I know how to pronounce it in Chinese, but I have no clue on how to spell it, not even using English characters, so first in English:
Silk Reeling
Now my horrible rendition of English character Chinese: Chan Si Jin
Why?
Because it's a TON more useful than fajin.
We use it throughout, in every posture.
Unlike fajin, which just means "explosive energy" and so can be even be applied to Silk Reeling jin if necessary.

I've said my piece on the "not touching" thing quite a few times, so will let my rants on that from the past stand rather than reiterate.
Perhaps this might clarify the the meanings of jin() and fajin(發勁)

Jin() is explosive energy.
fajin(發勁): To execute or issue the explosive energy. It is the execution of the explosive energy. It requires the ability of a person with the physical condition acquired from Tai Chi practice. It cannot be performed by an ordinary individual.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.