Sitting Yang-style Tai Chi for the elderly with dementia

ColinGroot

Sitting Yang-style Tai Chi for the elderly with dementia

Post by ColinGroot »

Dear All,

I'm new on this forum and registered myself to learn more about a specific form of Yang-style Tai Chi, the sitting form tailored to frail older adults. I have read about this form of Tai Chi in several scientific papers wherein studies were described which implemented this form of Tai Chi in exercise interventions aimed to improve balance, endurance and cognition in older adults. My queston is the following:
Can this form of Tai Chi be described as having an aerobic exercise component when given to the elderly with dementia.

On the one hand one can argue that since this form is in a sitting postion, aerobic exertion is minimal. However, on the other hand, for demented older adults (aged 80+) these exercises may be intense enough to cause aerobic exertion. The duration of the Tai Chi exercises in the described interventions is about one hour, participants were sitting the whole time.

I was wondering what people on this forum thought about this matter. I am sorry if I come across as ignorant about Tai Chi exercises but that is only because I am and I would like to know more about it.
Audi

Re: Sitting Yang-style Tai Chi for the elderly with dementia

Post by Audi »

Greetings,

I have not seen the exercises you describe, and so can only speculate.

I think the value of Tai Chi in this case could be that merely lifting the arms for a prolonged period can elevate the heart rate, and Tai Chi practice movements tend to be slow and even and can be quite enjoyable even for those who do not care for aerobic exercise.

An additional factor is that even in a sitting position, the movements should be generated from the torso and engage the soft tissue around the lumbar spine. I think most people would find it quite challenging to do such movements over an hour and would definitely train their hearts.

Take care,
Audi
ChiDragon

Re: Sitting Yang-style Tai Chi for the elderly with dementia

Post by ChiDragon »

ColinGroot wrote:Dear All,

I'm new on this forum and registered myself to learn more about a specific form of Yang-style Tai Chi, the sitting form tailored to frail older adults. I have read about this form of Tai Chi in several scientific papers wherein studies were described which implemented this form of Tai Chi in exercise interventions aimed to improve balance, endurance and cognition in older adults. My queston is the following:
Can this form of Tai Chi be described as having an aerobic exercise component when given to the elderly with dementia.

On the one hand one can argue that since this form is in a sitting postion, aerobic exertion is minimal. However, on the other hand, for demented older adults (aged 80+) these exercises may be intense enough to cause aerobic exertion. The duration of the Tai Chi exercises in the described interventions is about one hour, participants were sitting the whole time.

I was wondering what people on this forum thought about this matter. I am sorry if I come across as ignorant about Tai Chi exercises but that is only because I am and I would like to know more about it.
Hi,
In regard to a specific form of Yang-style Tai Chi, the sitting form tailored to frail older adults. IMMHO The Yang-style Tai Chi is not a sitting form. As a matter of fact, most of the time, the Yang style movements require the practitioner to stand on one leg.

Based on your reading about this form of Tai Chi in several scientific papers wherein studies were described which implemented this form of Tai Chi in exercise interventions aimed to improve balance, endurance and cognition in older adults. It is true that the Yang style is to improve balance and endurance but not cognition in older adults. As I'd mentioned above, the yang style movements require the practitioner to stand on one leg most of the time. Thus it is not feasible for an elderly person to do so for a long period of time. Especially, elderly people with a leg or knee problem.

Your question:
Can this form of Tai Chi be described as having an aerobic exercise component when given to the elderly with dementia?
FYI all taiji styles are aerobic only when the practitioner uses the Ultimate Method of Breathing(UMB). It can be benefited to all but not just aiming at any individual.

Ref to the UMB: http://www.yangfamilytaichi.com/phpBB3/ ... f=7&t=4162

In regard to the sitting form, it is the static form of Qigong which require the practitioner to perform the UMB with less or no movements at all. It is more desirable for an elderly person.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.