42 sword - two questions

sabre, sword, spear, etc
guspirata

42 sword - two questions

Post by guspirata »

Hello, I hace two questions about the 42 sword form. I hope someone could help me.
The first one is concerning the The circular Movement 39: Thrust and marching (or walk and pierce sword). In some videos and manuals the circle is wide or very wide. In other videos and manuals the circle is small, almost as pivoting around the original spot. ¿is there a right way to execute it?, ¿is the same to perform it in either way?
The second question is about the relation between the initial and final position (after preparation and before closing): ¿should the final position be exactly, or as exactly as possible, at the same spot of the initial position?.
Finally, as you see both questions are related, because depending on the amplitud of the circle of movement 39 it would be possible or not to end in the initial position-
Thank you very much for your help
Gustavo
ChiDragon

Re: 42 sword - two questions

Post by ChiDragon »

Sorry, I have just read your post. Please observe these videos. I have learn the 42 form initially from these videos. And watching others to get the correct movements at different angles. However, if I were you, I wouldn't worry about the initial position too much at the beginning. Eventually, after I do it many times, everything seems to be fallen into place.

Here are some of the collection of the 42 form videos that helps me the most..
1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxfgHd8CRy8
2. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlrQasYyBu4
3. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuTff2juheQ

Your two questions had made me curious which I had thought of once before.
Just to satisfy our curiosity, I have investigated the initial and final positions of the form. Please check the positions in the video at the time frames initial vs final.
1. 0:06 vs 3.45
2. 0:11 vs 4:33
3. 0.03 vs 4.44

I have noticed that the final position is, in front, within the vicinity of the initial position.
Last edited by ChiDragon on Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
ChiDragon

Re: 42 sword - two questions

Post by ChiDragon »

guspirata wrote:Hello, I hace two questions about the 42 sword form. I hope someone could help me.
The first one is concerning the The circular Movement 39: Thrust and marching (or walk and pierce sword). In some videos and manuals the circle is wide or very wide. In other videos and manuals the circle is small, almost as pivoting around the original spot. ¿is there a right way to execute it?, ¿is the same to perform it in either way?

Gustavo
The Movement 39 is just a 5 step Ba Gua walk. The steps are walking in a circle; there is no pivot point. It is the same to perform either way as long the movements are coordinated with the breathing. In addition, the foundation of the stance has to be well established from the practice of Tai Ji before the sword can be handled well. The leg work from the stance is to enhance the strength of the legs for balancing. It is very critical to balance oneself, with an one leg stand, during the Tai Ji sword performance. Unfortunately, if the balance was off, then the whole sequence will be interrupted.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.