Traditional Chinese Medicine "Combat Lifesaver"

global village idiot

Traditional Chinese Medicine "Combat Lifesaver"

Post by global village idiot »

Hi! New member here. Glad to be aboard.

I've recently resumed Tai Chi Chuan after about a 10-year hiatus, and one of the things I want to do differently than I'd previously done is incorporate a VERY basic knowledge of Traditional Chinese Medicine into my training once I've got back to where I want to be with the forms and push-hands.

My reasoning (or rationalization if you prefer) is this: I'm still in the Reserves - for a little while longer anyway - and I took Combat Lifesaver training as soon as it was offered way back in 1991, keeping current ever since. It is "more than first aid but less than medic." I've always derived a small measure of pride from the fact that I can do some level of healing in addition to a level of damage, as with my rifle.

In the same way this time around, I think it's only proper that if I learn a martial art, I ought to learn its corresponding healing art, at least to a level comparable with first aid or Combat Lifesaver.

A friend who is a licensed TCM caregiver sent me a few things to read concerning auricular (ear) acupuncture, and promises more along the lines of shiatsu or tui na which I gather is the Chinese name for the same thing.

Since I'm only starting on this new path of learning, I'm more than ignorant - I don't know what I don't know.

Usually when I want to learn something new, the first place I go is the children's section of the public library. I can find simple primers in simple language with lots of pictures. It pays to leave the ego at home when I learn something new.

Trouble is, I'm willing to bet more pushups than I can do in one go that there's no "Children's Picture Book of Acupuncture and Moxibustion" at My Fair City's library.

So where do I begin? I know ultimately I'm going to have to pony up and find someone to train me with hands-on techniques but I'm a long way away from any sort of "practicum."

TIA,
gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat
T

Re: Traditional Chinese Medicine "Combat Lifesaver"

Post by T »

Huangdi Neijing, 黃帝內經
aka The Yellow Emperor's Classic of Medicine
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings GVI,

I would recommend Tom Bisio's book, A Tooth from the Tiger's Mouth: How to Treat Your Injuries with Powerful Healing Secrets of the Great Chinese Warrior. Tom is a long time practitioner of Ba Gua, Xingyi, and Taijiquan. He also ran a clinic for many years specializing in treating sports injuries using traditional Chinese medicine. The book is a very usable practical guide.

Take care,
Louis
global village idiot

Post by global village idiot »

JACKPOT!

Thanks, Mr. Swaim!

gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat