The Correct Way to Practice Tai Ji

taojoannes

Re: The Correct Way to Practice Tai Ji

Post by taojoannes »

In my opinion, the "correct" way to practice changes as my skill develops, or according to my intention.

In the beginning, I believe it is a mistake to tie the breath to movements. Everything I've studied about neigong agrees that this can cause problems for people with existing blockages and stagnation.

Not to mention that placing the attention on the breath is an additional bit of mental challenge that may be beyond the capability of the beginner, who should be focusing first and foremost on correct form and body principle. Who cares about your breath when you have no root and can't make it through the form without stumbling?

Once the form has been mastered and the qi circulation cleared and stimulated, and the movements are familiar and comfortable, then it's possible and advisable to tie the breath to movements according to specific methods for specific purposes at specific times. I, personally, don't believe it is advisable to start tying breath to movement until the other stages have been thoroughly mastered. I also will practice my form in different ways at different times in order to focus on different aspects of my cultivation.
ChiDragon

Re: The Correct Way to Practice Tai Ji

Post by ChiDragon »

taojoannes wrote:In my opinion, the "correct" way to practice changes as my skill develops, or according to my intention.

In the beginning, I believe it is a mistake to tie the breath to movements. Everything I've studied about neigong agrees that this can cause problems for people with existing blockages and stagnation.

Not to mention that placing the attention on the breath is an additional bit of mental challenge that may be beyond the capability of the beginner, who should be focusing first and foremost on correct form and body principle. Who cares about your breath when you have no root and can't make it through the form without stumbling?
The above quote is fair to say. However, the sooner to tie the breath to movement is an early indication of progress in the practice. The breathing is the main goal to be accomplished in martial arts, especially, in Tai ji. If the breathing have not been improved after many years of practice, then you have not accomplished the sole purpose of Tai Ji.
Once the form has been mastered and the qi circulation cleared and stimulated, and the movements are familiar and comfortable, then it's possible and advisable to tie the breath to movements according to specific methods for specific purposes at specific times. I, personally, don't believe it is advisable to start tying breath to movement until the other stages have been thoroughly mastered. I also will practice my form in different ways at different times in order to focus on different aspects of my cultivation.
I have to disagree with the above quote ".....then it's possible and advisable to tie the breath to movements according to specific methods for specific purposes at specific times."

Once the form has been mastered and the movements are familiar and comfortable, then the breathing is automatically kicked in. Hence, breathing is mandatory for all future practices. It is not a choice in according to specific methods for specific purpose at specific time. Otherwise, all the effort will be wasted in the pursuit for future advancement. Breathing is a very serious matter in martial arts. Once it was ignored or neglected, then it will be useless in any practice.

Does anyone know what is the true meaning of "qi circulation is cleared". It actually means that your breathing passage has been cleared to make one breathe better. In other words, one can breathe more air or oxygen into the body which has a tremendous physical effect on the human body.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.