Back Pain began after Tai Chi?

BendedKnee

Back Pain began after Tai Chi?

Post by BendedKnee »

First, let me say that I am very happy to be learning Tai Chi, though I am quite terrible. :)

Other than Tai Chi, I have a really sedentary lifestyle. Since beginning Tai Chi, my back hurts in the morning. Sitting on the floor with legs crossed (which is how I prefer to sit), if I bend my head forward, it feels like my entire back down my spine is on fire, as if I'm pulling my spine forcefully from my body. This will pass after a little movement in the morning.

I feel that this has something to do with my normally poor posture, and the fact that Tai Chi has been acting to correct this.

I just want to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar, and if there is a way to remedy this, or if there is a time when it passes.
Audi

Re: Back Pain began after Tai Chi?

Post by Audi »

Hi BK,

Tai Chi practice should normally not cause back pain. How long have you been doing Tai Chi, and how long have you been suffering the pain? Also, is there a time relationship between when you practice and when you feel the pain? Do you feel better when you don't practice?

Take care,
Audi
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

Sounds like you should seek a professional doctor. I'd like to recommend try a acupuncturist. The thing with back pain, the Tai Yang foot channel runs down the back. This is the Urinary bladder channel and it is the Yang aspect of water element. The yin aspect of water is the Kidneys. Kidneys are associated with lower back pain in Oriental medicine.

Back pain is actually quite normal as we get older and it is really about how we manage and prevent the soreness. there are many factors at play here:
Sound like an old injury like a herniated or bulging disc honestly. you said it was like hot radiating pain down the back. Which sounds serious to me.

Pain is generally from cold in acupuncture. So things like a hot bath, heat pad, and such can help manage the pain. Maybe you have old injuries. so many factors at play. Diet, lifestyle, repetitive stress, excess sex, and climate where you live as well: these all affect your kidney and urinary bladder acupuncture channels.

My favorite things to do for back pain (at least lower back pain): hot epson salt bath, patting massage on self at lower back, getting a professional massage, soaking feet in hot salt water, acupuncture, light yoga stretches, qigong, things like that.

Really you should seek a professional doctor.

Be well!
www.yongniantaichiusa.com
fchai

Post by fchai »

Greetings,
As Audi states, Taiji should not cause back pain, especially the Yang form, as we maintain an upright posture. Also when doing the form make sure that your stances are done correctly so that there is no misalignment of your spine. You should always feel comfortable and relaxed when doing the form. If there is any discomfort, check your stance and posture.
Aside from the Taiji form, you might also consider a couple of Qigong forms. I have found the Ba Duan Jin (Eight Pieces of Brocade) and the Dao Yin Yang Sheng qigong forms particularly good for strengthening the core muscles, among other benefits. They also help strengthen the back muscles and often this (weak back muscles) can be a cause for back pain.
AS others have advised, see a doctor if pain persists.
Take care,
Frank
Percy

Post by Percy »

Tai Chi does not cause back pain. In the tai chi video on back pain I saw how they used tai chi to help recover your back. Tai chi is a form of complementary treatment that offers therapeutic benefits to lower back pain. :)