Warm Hands

fchai

Warm Hands

Post by fchai »

Greetings,
When doing Taiji there are obvious physiological effects. One that some students get fixated on is on whether their hands get warm when practicing Taiji. What bothers me somewhat is that their whole body does not get warm, even if their hands appear to. I surmise this as they are swaddled in a thick jumper without a bead of sweat, while I am sweating (glowingly so) and in a shirt and shorts. (As you may have guessed, I am not much for uniforms) However, I am mightily interested in your thoughts and experiences in the physiological effects you get and experience when practicing Taiji (Long Form).
In anticipation,
Frank
ChiDragon

Re: Warm Hands

Post by ChiDragon »

Greetings! Frank.

Here is my experience. As you said, I had a T-shirt and shorts on. After I finish with the 24 form in guiding the students, I asked them do they feel hot while I was wiping the sweat on my face and neck with a handkerchief. Some said their hands are warm; some said there was a little sweat on the forehead while others didn't feel a thing. Some did laugh at me and teased me that I had reached a high level of accomplishment in order to get to the sweating stage.
When doing Taiji there are obvious physiological effects.
There is definitely a physiological effect alright. When our muscles contract, the muscles generates energy and heat. The amount of energy and heat that were generated depends how much oxygen we breathe into our body. This has something to do with the coordination of the movements and breath.

Remember sometime ago, I had posted that while practice Tai Chi:
The movements have to be coordinated with the breathing and
the breathing has to be coordinated with the movements.

What that was saying, if one breathes more oxygen into the body, then one will generate more energy and heat and the waste product as water and carbon dioxide. In the contrast, those who breathes less oxygen will generate less energy and heat. As a prolong Tai Chi practitioner, the coordination of movement and breathing will activate all the body cells to generate more energy and body heat than normal or an ordinary person. Hence, the extra body heat will be sweated off by releasing the waste product of water resulted from cell respiration.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
global village idiot

Post by global village idiot »

I notice that my hands get warmer as I progress through the forms; then again, I have frostbite so ANY temperature change is noticed and one that keeps my hands warm is always welcome.

Funny thing is also perspire quite a lot but only at classes, never when working on my own. It may be because when I'm on my own I'm usually outdoors. It is there too that I notice the warmth in my hands.

gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat
fchai

Post by fchai »

Hi GVI,
Good to know that you practice outdoors. That is always best. I only do indoors on sufferance.
Take care.
Frank
global village idiot

Post by global village idiot »

I have a small house :roll: No room to do the form indoors.

gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat