Learn the Tai Chi walk.

ChiDragon

Learn the Tai Chi walk.

Post by ChiDragon »

To understand the bow stance is to learn the basis of the Tai Chi walk.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYrUqlwE6n8

Please pay very close attention to the 45 degree turn of the foot. It is very important in lifting up the body for balancing when standing on one leg.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
global village idiot

Re: Learn the Tai Chi walk.

Post by global village idiot »

I watched the video and what I noticed that I wasn't conscious of was the action of the waist and hips.

I say I wasn't conscious of it because I couldn't have told you before what my waist was doing - whether it was right or wrong.

For the past few days I've been paying closer attention to the position and movement of the waist and I was more deeply conscious of why it's so important in tai chi. I think, before, I was using my core muscles to turn, twist and transition - I can't say with certainty, though, because I wasn't that conscious of it.

Thanks for the video!

gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat
mls_72

Re: Learn the Tai Chi walk.

Post by mls_72 »

I agree. Learn the tai chi walk!

It is a very under appreciated training. My first Chinese teacher made us do walking forward , backward, and sideways every class as part of 'basics" or Jibengong. after that then we added hands like Part horse man, brush, knee, repulse monkey and cloud hands.

Later we added holding postures and sections of the classical forms. Example:
hold single whip, then do cloud hands, hold single whip at the end.
or
hold pipa for a significant amount of time, then do brush knees, then hold pipa again.

we had about a dozen lines of these using different repetitive postures.
lines.jpg
lines.jpg (137.16 KiB) Viewed 3365 times
www.yongniantaichiusa.com