times of day to work on qigong

everything

times of day to work on qigong

Post by everything »

Hi all, I think this topic was covered for taijiquan form already, but I was wondering if there is any specific time of day that may be best to work on qigong: especially sinking qi to dantian and microcosmic orbit. I seem to be best able to work on this late at night. That is, I can more easily feel these processes happening. Other times of day, my energy may be low, mind may not be quiet, etc. I assume it'll get easier as I improve this work in general, but is there something else I should consider - should I be taking up a morning routine, instead, are there times to avoid, for example?
ChiDragon

Re: times of day to work on qigong

Post by ChiDragon »

Hi, everything
IMMHO Traditionally, the ancients had sat some time for the qigong practice. Nowadays, you may practice anytime whichever is suitable for you. However. it is better not to do it when you are hungry. It was recommended not to do it right after meal but half hour or more until your foods had digested a little bit.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
everything

Re: times of day to work on qigong

Post by everything »

thanks for the reply, and sorry to only reply 5 years later. :)

for whatever reason, I still had this same question after five years, but it's starting to matter less as a practical matter and is more an interesting question, theoretically. As a "night owl", I found it's much easier to work on these things around 11 p.m. local time. My energy seems stronger. Easier for qi sinking and circulating kind of feeling. Mind is quiet but alert. It's been a struggle to feel less sluggish in the morning and work toward this kind of energy level upon waking, but I've been working toward it by seeing if the "strength" of my energy can be better earlier and earlier in the day, and by trying to do qigong soon after waking. The difference between feeling sluggish in the a.m. and energetic in the p.m. seems to be reducing. "Yin yang more balanced." I attribute this in large part to doing more qigong in general and trying to add it in the mornings instead of only at night. No idea how my practice fits the TCM and Taoist theories.