Why do people attend Taiji classes?

fchai

Why do people attend Taiji classes?

Post by fchai »

Greetings,

A while ago, I did a little survey of my students to determine why they attended my Taiji classes (At the time I had about 70 regular students at different levels). It was to ascertain if there is a reason why so many seem to not be progressing in their proficiency or competency. The survey sought data on their frequency of practice and their motivations of doing Taiji and what they expected to gain from it. The survey was anonymous so that students need not fear repercussions and would be honest in their responses. From the survey forms received (about 50% returned) the following interesting data was derived,

On frequency of practice per week, about 75% practised 1-2 times a week. In fact, 30% did not practice at all outside of class!

As to their motivations, less that 10% probably closer to 5%, had any interest in the martial aspects of Taiji. About 30% appreciated the mental and psychological benefits/possibilities, but most just attended for health and exercise. I suspect that most see doing Taiji as just another exercise class that they attend!

However, on a positive note, there are signs that some few have begun to feel the 'difference' in themselves and are beginning to take Taiji more seriously. Then again it might be my wishful thinking!

I wonder if anyone else has had similar data, with classes that they conduct.

Take care,
Frank
fchai

Re: Why do people attend Taiji classes?

Post by fchai »

Greetings,

To clarify on frequency of practice, about 25% practised 3 or more times a week.

take care,
Frank
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the information.

I think a lot of these ratios will also depend somewhat on where you teach, how you promote your school, and the tone of your classes.
However, on a positive note, there are signs that some few have begun to feel the 'difference' in themselves and are beginning to take Taiji more seriously. Then again it might be my wishful thinking!
Congratulations! I think many teachers dream of more, but this is still a great achievement with a hope of more to come.
As to their motivations, less that 10% probably closer to 5%, had any interest in the martial aspects of Taiji. About 30% appreciated the mental and psychological benefits/possibilities, but most just attended for health and exercise. I suspect that most see doing Taiji as just another exercise class that they attend!
I think these are all worthy motivations and probably what most teachers encounter. I would like to add one more, which is, I think, my true motivation to practice Tai Chi: It's fun :P

Take care,
Audi
maria.j

Post by maria.j »

The first class I ever attended was to keep a friend company, but in the end I continued to go and my friend stopped.

I just loved the relaxing atmosphere the tutor brought to the class and how very patient he was as we were all at different stages to start with.

I think a lot has to do with the tutor and the people who attend the classes. Also it is got to be something you want to learn, as it is not for everyone. When I first attended I never thought that over nearly two years later I would still be going.
dianexx

Post by dianexx »

To be honest, I never thought it would be for me, but until one attends a class then one will never know. I find that I am very chilled during and after a class, and have met some lovely people attending tai chi classes.
Maybe not the best of reasons to attend but important for myself.
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Dianexx,
I would say that your reason for attending is, in fact, one of the best reasons I have ever heard anyone give.

Why do I attend? Well...
Now it's because my students are showing up and they sort of expect me to be there too. :D
However when I started out it was to learn the martial art.
Plain and simple, that's all I was interested in way back in the before time.
Fortunately I've grown both older and as a person since then, so now I'm interested in the martial art and the health aspects.
Also, I have found that I truly enjoy teaching.
Since the only thing I'm really qualified to teach is TCC, I'm glad I can do that.