Opening Statements for a Tai Chi Class: Good Ways to Begin

Parkallen

Opening Statements for a Tai Chi Class: Good Ways to Begin

Post by Parkallen »

What would be good opening remarks to make just at the moment of starting a new class, whether it is the first class of a new series or you are in the middle of a series? There is this distinctive moment between the time when students are milling about not yet engaged, and when the teacher has properly begun teaching; that in-between moment is when the instructor pulls the students together, takes their attention, and shifts them into learning mode, from there the instructor can properly begin teaching. I'd like to present this question to forum users about how they approach this aspect of teaching.
ChiDragon

Re: Opening Statements for a Tai Chi Class: Good Ways to Beg

Post by ChiDragon »

Hi, Parkallen
An appropriate answer for this OP is to have the instructor to demonstrate some abilities which were accomplished through the practice. Distinguish what the instructor cannot do before but now can. Let them know that you have something to be presented that is worthwhile. The students will be encouraged to reach the same goal with great interest to be participated in the class. Thus this is a very effective way to intrigue the students to learn and spread the words to have more people to come for the class.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
fchai

Re: Opening Statements for a Tai Chi Class: Good Ways to Begin

Post by fchai »

Greetings,
This is an old post, but I thought it worthwhile that I share a few of my thoughts on teaching beginners. At the very start I inform them of the origins of Taiji, as documented rather than speculated or romanticized. I also inform them about the Yang Family Taiji and the different Taiji families. I make it clear that the form taught is of martial origin and they need to understand this, if they are to derive the full benefits of practising Taiji, even though most are attending for the acknowledged health benefits. I would have previously provided them with information on health studies undertaken on the efficacy of Taiji practice, for physical and mental health. While improving their physical and mental well-being, if they also develop some useful martial skills, it will be a bonus.
I emphasize practice and the Ten Essential Principles, and over the weeks explain and demonstrate the meanings and practice of the Ten Essential Principles. I also would spend some time explaining and demonstrating stances and footwork, and how they optimize balance, movement, rooting and expression of energy.
Oops, gotta run.
More next time.
Take care,
Frank
global village idiot

Post by global village idiot »

My colleague and I don't go into very much at the beginning. We ask what the student knows of tai chi and as a rule they give us a basic description somewhat along the lines of "I've seen videos online and I've heard such-and-such." We ask them if they have any martial arts experience (most don't but a few do), and then ask what they want to get out of the art.

Last class, I shared something with the students which is similar to what I used to tell Soldiers I was mentoring for professional development. "My goal is to get you to the point where you need an instructor who's better than me." One of them asked if that meant I expected them to get better at tai chi than I was and I said "Sure! Why not?" The goal of the instructor, I told them, is not only to get a student proficient but to advance the art. If they get better at it than I am, that means I've done everything I can to fulfill the obligation. They could do it, I told them, but it takes work and study on their own part - I can't do everything for them.

I told them with a wink to bear in mind, however, that while it wouldn't bother me a bit if they became better practitioners than I was, that I too was studying and learning as well.

gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat
fchai

Post by fchai »

Greetings,

Continuing on my previous post. When you ask folks as to why they want to learn and practice Taiji, the overwhelming majority of responses relate to health. However, even in this there is only a fairly vague idea based on what they may have heard or read in very broad terms. Often, most have little idea or knowledge of the martial aspects and foundations of Taiji. One of the first things I tell them is about the Three Treasures (San bao). The jing, qi and shen. I inform them that irrespective of their understanding of the martial aspects of Taiji, the Three Treasures should be considered by them as the rationale for learning and practising Taiji, as for Qigong. The analogy you can offer, to explain the Three Treasures, is that of a car. "Jing" is the components that make the car and they need to be maintained well to function properly. You have to make sure the tyres have good thread and the right pressure, the brakes system is maintained well with brake fluid, brake pads; the engine oil is changed regularly so that the engine parts operate as they should, etc. "Qi" is the oxygen that is needed by the combustion system to generate the energy to turn the wheels, cause the generator/alternator to produce the power to run the electrics, to operate the power steering, etc. However, "qi" is not only the oxygen but also the energy that is produced from its action. Finally, "Shen". There needs to be a driver. Otherwise, the car is just an object languishing in a car yard without purpose. The driver gives the car a purpose and direction.

So, with the practice of Taiji and/or qigong, you ensure that your body and its organs functions as well as it can (jing), you optimize and improve the efficacy of oxygen use and hence your energy levels (qi). And finally, you improve your mental concentration, focus and equilibrium (shen).

In addition, with Taiji practice, especially with a martial focus, you will learn to unify your mind and whole body, and to function both mentally and physically as an integrated whole, and with common purpose.

Until the next time,
Take care,
Frank