ALAS!

global village idiot

ALAS!

Post by global village idiot »

One of the biggest challenges to continued learning in tai chi which I've faced is the tendency for teacher and student to part company. When I first began learning, my instructor moved out of state about 8 months after I'd begun. Next it was I who moved - back home from Iraq when it was time for my unit to rotate home - I'd given thought to extending just to continue learning under the guy but it didn't take long to realize how ridiculous an idea that was.

Now my present teacher is retiring in a couple months, and I'm facing having to look for another place. There are plenty, if I wish to go all the way to Chicago. Turns out that Liao Waysun, the author of "Tai Chi Classics," has a school in Oak Park which is just west of the city.

Our class is considering meeting at the rural property of one of the members, which would be a nice option (provided there's always enough "bug juice" to go around, as it has swamp on it), but nothing definite has been decided. As much as I'd like to have a plan in place, I'm trying hard to be a bit of a Taoist about it and see how well "wu wei" works.

For now...

gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat
fchai

Re: ALAS!

Post by fchai »

Greetings GVI,

Glad you changed your mind about staying back in Iraq to continue your Taiji study. What would one do without your common sense to keep us grounded and not have us floating away to Never Never Land? Lol.

On the matter of teachers, perhaps I tend to hold to the view that there will come a time when the nestlings leaves the nest and find out for themselves what the world is about. Even though I had a wonderful and generous teacher, Dr. Chen Fei, who was taught by Tung Ying Chieh and Tung Hu Ling, for an all too short number of years, much of what I have begun to understand of Taiji has been a journey of self-discovery. With practice and the wealth of information that abounds in books and forums such as this, and with teaching/guiding others, has come greater understanding and proficiency. If one has an opportunity to discuss with a learned colleague or tap into the more profound knowledge of a master it would be great. However, failing that, your own personal journey of self-discovery and self-mastery can in itself be very illuminating and rewarding.

Take care,
Frank
global village idiot

All of what you say is true and valuable; then again, nothing can replace classroom/studio instruction or interaction with a partner, and this more than anything else is what I'm already beginning to miss, even though classes are still in session.

gvi
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

GVI,
What part of IL are you in? I know a very good instructor in the Chicago/Skokie area.

AND going back and reading what you actually wrote after I asked...
You're fairly close to my friend, fellow IYFTCCA instructor, and disciple of GM Yang Jun, Ken Ning.
Let me know if you're interested and I'll introduce you.
global village idiot

I'm from Northwest Indiana - a "Region Rat" in local parlance :wink:

My family is from Hammond - the city upon which the fictional "Hohman" was based in Jean Shepherd's stories that made up the movie "A Christmas Story." If you've seen it, you've seen my hometown - it hasn't changed appreciably.

I currently live about 45 minutes East-Southeast of Hammond, which puts me about an hour-and-a-half from Chicago depending on traffic; and I work a bit closer but not close enough to make a real difference.

No matter what, introductions are always welcome!

gvi
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

I will contact Ken when I get home and get him and you together.
If nothing else he may be able to introduce you to someone closer to you who would be a good teacher.
global village idiot

fchai wrote: Glad you changed your mind about staying back in Iraq to continue your Taiji study. What would one do without your common sense to keep us grounded and not have us floating away to Never Never Land? Lol.
fchai, if my "common sense" is the only thing between you and Never Never Land, I can only advise you to consider renaming yourselves "the Lost Boys," as you've obviously fallen out of your prams :wink:

gvi