Who else knows this form?

DanielTkach

Who else knows this form?

Post by DanielTkach »

Hello everyone,
I wanted to share this form I'm learning in case someone else knows it? At the moment of recording I'd been practicing it for a couple of months or so. The full form is 128 moves, my sifu learned it from his teacher Lai Han Lian.
More about the genealogy, Lai Han Lian learned it from Guo Shu institute director Wang Long Yi (Xiao Yun) between 1946 and 1948. This is apparently an old form, Yang Lu Chan lao jia.
Yang Lu Chan -> Yang Pan Hou -> Chen Hai Ting -> Wang Long Yi.
It's not a very popular form, and it can be done fast, slow, hard, soft or just like the modern Yang style much like what I'm attempting here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IliDM6yKUkI

I fell in love with this form, much more when I see it done by my sifu ha! I wasn't that hooked to the Yang style that's so popular now, but this, I practice it 2 hours per day, as much as I can for now. I'm curious to know if anybody else knows it.
Thank you.
Audi

Re: Who else knows this form?

Post by Audi »

I am not familiar with the form, but both the form and the performance look nice.
The full form is 128 moves, my sifu learned it from his teacher Lai Han Lian.
Do the names of the posture and the sequence more or less follow the traditional form?
ChiDragon

Post by ChiDragon »

The fast form is also known as Fast Tai Chi. It is almost a lost art in the modern time. This art is for senior students as someone had mentioned. It could be said that is the next level after a long time practice of the standard form. The reason it is for senior students is because they have developed a Tai Chi body with jin. The exercise is to fa jin with faster and shorter movements. The fast moves are helpful during combat to anticipate the opponents which is "you don't move, I don't move; if you move, I move first" concept. BTW This is replies heavy on the Tai Chi breathing which I have called it the ultimate breathing method(UMB).

It is very import to practice the standard form to have the movements coordinate with the breathing and vice versa. Otherwise, the fast form cannot be done in the next level. The standard form will lead you to the state of "sink chi to the dantian" from the breathing.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
DanielTkach

Post by DanielTkach »

Audi wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:09 pm I am not familiar with the form, but both the form and the performance look nice.
The full form is 128 moves, my sifu learned it from his teacher Lai Han Lian.
Do the names of the posture and the sequence more or less follow the traditional form?
It does resemble the traditional form, if you look you'll see many similarities. I had a peek at some other parts of the form and they do look similar. Some say the traditional form is a facilitated version of what I'm learning.
I got some more moves now, about 28:
https://youtu.be/Ds3wOXNAu38
ChiDragon wrote: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:56 am The fast form is also known as Fast Tai Chi. It is almost a lost art in the modern time. This art is for senior students as someone had mentioned. It could be said that is the next level after a long time practice of the standard form. The reason it is for senior students is because they have developed a Tai Chi body with jin. The exercise is to fa jin with faster and shorter movements. The fast moves are helpful during combat to anticipate the opponents which is "you don't move, I don't move; if you move, I move first" concept. BTW This is replies heavy on the Tai Chi breathing which I have called it the ultimate breathing method(UMB).

It is very import to practice the standard form to have the movements coordinate with the breathing and vice versa. Otherwise, the fast form cannot be done in the next level. The standard form will lead you to the state of "sink chi to the dantian" from the breathing.
Very interesting ChiDragon. Yes, my sifu doesn't teach this to beginners, only to people with a couple of years practice of the standard form. I'm still practicing it more or less at a low speed to reach what you are describing. I usually practice it twice as slow, but recorded it a bit faster for the record.
DanielTkach

Post by DanielTkach »

Quick update, almost 80 moves now.

https://youtu.be/53G_BRce6Bw