Teng Pai or Yuan Pai in Tai Chi Dao?

sabre, sword, spear, etc
global village idiot

Teng Pai or Yuan Pai in Tai Chi Dao?

Post by global village idiot »

Is there anything in the historical record to suggest the use of the Teng Pai or Yuan Pai (rattan or wicker shield) alongside the dao in our set?

I ask this because I experimented with a friend's admittedly non-Chinese, ordinary round shield in the free hand; and it seemed as though, whereas previous to this I found myself wondering why the free hand moved as it did, with a shield in it nearly every move of the free hand made perfect and intuitive sense.

TIA,
gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat
fchai

Re: Teng Pai or Yuan Pai in Tai Chi Dao?

Post by fchai »

Greetings GVI,

I have not heard of the use of a shield in the practice of the dao. I usually practice two different single dao forms and have been remiss in the practice of my double dao form. I will have to get back to it some day. However, in the practice of the single dao forms, I have never practised with other than an empty left hand. However, in my execution of the form, I would find having the left hand occupied with holding a shield somewhat problematic, with the specific moves that are done. Actually, it would get in the way, unless I made significant changes to how the form is executed. For example, at the beginning of the form the dao is in the left hand and only after the Astride Tiger followed by a Flying Oblique action is the dao transferred to my right hand. How I would hold the shield in the preliminary movements, either left or right hand, would seem to require some thought to ensure a smooth transition and no awkwardness. Likewise with various other movements in the particular forms I practice. However, the form that you know might be different and may allow the accommodation of a shield?

That being said, I was taught in my exuberant youth that with proficiency in the martial form (the particular martial form I was learning at the time), any implement can be used as a weapon, including a small bench seat or carpenter's sawhorse. The manner in which your arms move (and your whole body for that matter) should be able to accommodate the use of these unusual implements for martial purposes. Folks may practice with a staff or sword, but try using a shovel/spade or stool or chair, etc. and you might get an insight into what I mean. You might also be pleasantly surprised.

Take care,
Frank
global village idiot

Re: Teng Pai or Yuan Pai in Tai Chi Dao?

Post by global village idiot »

Thanks for the reply, Frank!

You and I are on the same page concerning "weaponizing" everyday objects. I spend more time working with a Bian Gan than a Gun, for example, and the principal reason is that there is something very like a Bian Gan in practically every single building in the world; to wit, a broom or a mop.

My work machete can be easily weaponized, of course, and it brings up a point somewhat related to the one above. Last month, an acquaintance outside this forum shared a video of two men, who appeared to be Mexican farm workers, fighting each other "for keeps" with their machetes. Turns out there's a difference between using a machete for clearing brush or cutting sugar cane, and using it to visit violence on someone.

I knew this intellectually, but I'd never seen the difference so starkly presented. The two men were intent on doing violence with their machetes, but their cuts looked like they were swinging at brush rather than a human. They had no sense of measure, no sense of timing, no thought to guards or parries - they simply jumped out of the way if they could - and their cuts, while smooth and efficient for vegetation, were slow and cumbersome for fighting. They were relying on luck and appearing menacing, and showed no real fighting skill, coolness of nerve or self-discipline. In other words, they were enraged workmen, not trained fighters. If you're curious, both fighters gave each other wounds which in an austere environment would likely be mortal and certainly be crippling - it's quite gruesome. So in this fight, it might be best to say both men lost.

Back on topic, I'd say the use of a tengpai isn't a perfect match, but there are many places in the Yang sabre set where one can easily imagine it. Think of the position of the free hand in "Jade Lady Works Her Shuttles" - it feels as though there ought to be a shield there, deflecting a polearm; or else, the blade clearing the shield (the around-the-head portion) of a weapon stuck in it. Of course I'm just speculating.

Thanks for carrying on the discussion!

gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat