Balance

Rob P.

Balance

Post by Rob P. »

I'm new to the art and self taught, but I've learned all the forms for the 24 form routine. My issue is my balance.

After beginning with the commencing form the next form in the 24 form routine is Part the Wild Horse's Mane Left. Simple, step left and do the required moves and weight shifts - no problem. It's immediately after that where the problem arises.

After the forward part of the form, I roll back and pivot the left foot on the heel toward the corner. If at that point I move forward again, I have no balance. None, as in zero balance. I can't even get my right foot off the floor unless I'm well forward over my left knee. If I try to hold my posture and move my right foot, I break the form and have to step right or backward to avoid falling. :oops:

If I stop, and restart with the commencing form I still have no balance after the first rollback but it's not as bad as the first attempt. If I try again a 3rd time, I find myself moving my right foot and pivoting it on the toes before rolling back. I know this is wrong because footwork and it stretches my bow stance too much. But it seems to be an adaption my mind has created to avoid the balance issue.

If after this I keep going and Part the Wild Horse's Mane Right, I'm good for the forward step. The roll back works perfectly and my left foot stays planted while I rotate my right foot toward the corner. Yet, when I step forward to part left for the 2nd time, I have no balance again.

Restarting again, I can now make it through the entire second form without wobbling. It's like I need 3 or 4 tries to get going or something. Once beyond this I seem to be good for the rest of the routine for the most part.

What gives? Is the rear foot supposed to move and I don't know it (nor can I see it in vids either) or is there some secret mojo magic I'm missing?
Audi

Re: Balance

Post by Audi »

Welcome Rob,

Sorry for the delay in approving your post.

I am not really familiar with the 24-Form routine, since I do the traditional long form. Could you post a Youtube video that shows what your aiming at? Then you could reference the exact time references to show where you are having difficulty.

I am also not clear from your description if your main complaint is that you always have difficulty with the balance in the movement or that you seem to need several attempts in order to solve your balance issue. The first means you basically don't know how to do it; the second means you somehow figure out how to do it, but don't know how you do so.

Physical balance is both a fundamental part of our Tai Chi and something that requires profound study. Many, many things can affect it, and our goal for balance is quite high. If you are new to the art, I will leave aside many things to try to address what might be threshold issues for you.

First, physical balance, as I understand it, has both an internal and an external part.

1. For the internal part, think of your mind focus and your breathing.

1.a For you mind focus, make sure that what you intend is actually what you should do. Between the first Parting Wild Horse's Main and the second, there appears to be a general movement forward to the left side of the room, and you may be telling your body to shift your weight "forward." However, the body weight should not actually shift forward, but somewhat diagonally over the Bubbling (Well)Spring of the left foot, which is somewhat forward of the center of the foot. Weight should be on your entire left foot, with only the focus as the Bubbling Well (which may not even contact the floor directly). If instead, you try to shift weight "forward" squarely to the left side of the room, you will feel you have no support and will have difficulty lifting your right foot. Depending on how much you try to have your mind overrule your body and the laws of physics, you will have more or less problems with this. This problem can continue for years if unaddressed.

1.b For your breathing, you want to be able to sustain calm, unobstructed abdominal breathing throughout the movement. If you cannot, it means something is wrong externally, and you are having to draw on your internal to compensate for it. You will be tensing some of your core muscles to maintain a deficient structure. The problem would not be in your breathing technique, but in how other physical errors are forcing you to breathe to compensate. In other words, use your breathing as a diagnostic of what is correct, not as something to manipulate directly.

2. For the external part, think of the stance requirements, the body shape, and movement.

2a. For the stance requirements, make sure that you are not stepping too long or too narrowly. If you are trying to step too long, you will not be able to lift your back foot. If your stance is too narrow, you will not feel stable. Also, from some videos, I see that the first Parting Wild Horse's Mane has the right foot pivoting on the heel and not the ball of the foot. If you pivot on the ball, your stance may end up too long. (You may have been describing this in your post, but I could not quite understand what posture you were referring to.)

2b. For your body shape, consider whether, after you pivot your left foot, you maintain a rounded crotch with each knee pointing in the same direction as the toes of the respective foot.

2c. For movement, consider that you should not be moving "forward," but diagonally over the left foot. The movement should be even and gradual. If you are not clear on what gradual means, try moving so that you feel the weight of you right hip lifting off the right foot. Then the weight of you right thigh. Then you right knee. Then your lower leg. Then the bottom of your foot. By the time, you lift your foot, you should only feel as if you are lifting a pound or two. You should feel in complete control of the entire process. If you cannot even begin the process, you are shifting your weight in the wrong direction.

I hope this helps.

Take care,
Audi
Rob P.

Post by Rob P. »

Thank you for the reply. As I said, I'm new to the art so I didn't realize that I needed to clarify that the form I'm using is the Yang style 24 form. My purpose is to help maintain my physical and mental health. After finally achieving a status of being older than dirt, I'm not that interested in the combat side of the art.

I can't post a video of my routine, sorry. However, I've watched a ton of You Tube videos and worked over and over again on just that transition until I think I've solved it. You're correct in your 2a analysis. I still wobble sometimes, but I now know WHY I wobble and I am working on it. I'll get there. Some day.
ChiDragon

Post by ChiDragon »

Rob P. wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:30 pm I'm new to the art and self taught, but I've learned all the forms for the 24 form routine. My issue is my balance.

After beginning with the commencing form the next form in the 24 form routine is Part the Wild Horse's Mane Left. Simple, step left and do the required moves and weight shifts - no problem. It's immediately after that where the problem arises.

After the forward part of the form, I roll back and pivot the left foot on the heel toward the corner. If at that point I move forward again, I have no balance. None, as in zero balance. I can't even get my right foot off the floor unless I'm well forward over my left knee. If I try to hold my posture and move my right foot, I break the form and have to step right or backward to avoid falling. :oops:

What gives? Is the rear foot supposed to move and I don't know it (nor can I see it in vids either) or is there some secret mojo magic I'm missing?
Hi, Rob!
Welcome aboard. We needs some activities here.
I do teach the 24 form. I think I know where your problem is. Your mistake was try to move forward too soon. There is a balance step which you had skipped.

On Part the wild horse's mane left:
Here is what you do. First, shift your body weight to the bended rear right leg. Then, pivot your left foot 45 degree to the left. Now try the stand up and shift you body weight on your left bended knee. Do not try to move forward at this time. You need to balance yourself by standing on your left leg first. Now, lift up your right leg and make a small arc from the center toward the right; land your right foot with the toes pointing straight toward the front.

FYI Standing with one leg is hard at first. However, for beginners like in your case, it is acceptable to tiptoe with the right leg to get a good balance before landing the foot on the ground. After you get the gist of the balance, then you can skip the extra tiptoe step. It works the same for both left and right legs for this routine. Just remember, after each move, you should be ended up with a bow stand in most cases. Thus you'll know you had done it correctly. Have fun!
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
fchai

Post by fchai »

Hi Rob,

I haven't been following the discussion board of late, so have not seen your post till now. There has been quite a lot of good advice given to date, but I thought I might add a little to the discussion.

As a beginner you just want to move without falling over, which seems to be the case here, or at least at the start. To perhaps provide some guidance, I will try to keep things simple.

Firstly, don't try to religiously copy what you see on YouTube, especially the height of the stances. As you may have already surmised and from Audi's comments, you are probably taking much too big a step when you begin. It basically results in you being 'stuck' in the middle and nowhere to go, without pretty much falling over. And if your stance is also unstable, even worse. So, as a beginner, take smaller steps that you find comfortable and balanced. Perhaps even your normal walking stride to start with, until you gain more confidence.

Secondly, keep your posture more upright, without an exaggerated lean. Any leaning in the Yang form is generally marginal at best, excepting the low form of single whip. People that lean too much forward often have the heel of their back foot lifted. Keep the back foot firmly planted on the ground and it will help to stop the excessive forward lean. You will feel some discomfort if you tried to lean too forward in this case. So it is a good inhibitor to the lean.

Finally, another good control move, is to make sure that before you move your left foot forward, have all your weight on the right foot, then lead with the heel of the left foot, land it and THEN shift more weight to the forward foot. This will prevent you taking too large a step forward.

By the way, do not exaggerate your 'roll back' to pivot your heel and then move forward. You just need to ease the weight off the left foot sufficient to easily pivot on the heel and then shift your weight to the left foot and move forward. Again, if you exaggerate the 'roll back', actually 'roll back' means something quite different in Taiji but I understand what you are trying to say, and your leg strength is not there, you will probably lose your balance. You may also be inadvertently leaning backwards, which would compound your balance problem.

I hope this helps.
Take care,
Frank
ChiDragon

Post by ChiDragon »

In regard to the leg strength and leaning as mentioned in the above post, both are the common factors for most beginners to be encountered with. In Tai Chi, balance is the key to the practice. Please do this and don't do that; it is easier to say than done. Indeed, that is why Tai Chi has to be practiced diligently. Like they say practice makes perfect. If one practice long enough will find the balance point by correcting the leaning position. In addition, by standing on one leg at a time will increase the strength of the legs. Finally, one will be surprised to see how quickly one can find the balance at a sudden fall.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
ChiDragon

Post by ChiDragon »

HI all:
I would like to put more emphasis on body balance. First of all, let's ask why Tai Chi was practiced slowly. Well, the reason is to build up muscle tone and improve body balance. If the leg muscles are weak, then the balance of the body cannot be easily achieved. For example, let's go back to the leg strength and leaning position with a beginner as an average person. Most of the moves are required to lift one leg at a time while the other is standing on the floor. Assuming a person has not been exercised much, thus the leg muscles are weak that cannot even stand up with one leg for few seconds. What one can do is by having one leg supporting partial of the body weight while the other leg is tip toe to support rest of the weight.

Tip toe means having 1/3 of the foot, close to the front of the other foot, on the ground. Since the legs are weak, the front leg has to be lifted up and take a full step forward very quickly. What that means is that the hind leg was only supporting the whole body weight for a second. As time goes by with the practice, like few months, the lifting leg can land on the floor in a slower pace. Hence the hind leg can support the whole body weight for little longer than before. In few years, each leg can support the whole body weight in minutes. Finally, the legs are stronger, tip toe is no longer needed. The lifting leg can take a full step without stopping. Since the practitioner can stand on one leg, balance can be accomplished at the right leaning position.