COVID-19 and Push Hands Training

fchai

COVID-19 and Push Hands Training

Post by fchai »

Greetings,

Due to COVID-19 and the need to physically distance, I have had to cease/suspend my class in Push Hands and the 2-person sparring form. So, presumably until a vaccine is available and/or the infection rate is almost zero, and there is no risk of transmission, will we be allowed to do contact training. Even then, strict hygiene guidelines will need to be complied with, e.g. hand sanitizer, face masks, etc.

I wonder how many of you are coping with this, as it is probably the new norm in the COVID world.

Take care,
Frank
DPasek

Re: COVID-19 and Push Hands Training

Post by DPasek »

I have had to significantly change the focus of my class. I used to emphasize the small niche of “Interactive Taijiquan” both because that is my primary interest and because many (most?) schools do not spend much time on interactive work, and the feedback and lessons learned from it. I will now switch my class description to a focus on health and body awareness instead of interactive work. However, for my regular students I am still having classes on interactive weapons work since the length of the weapons (saber/dao, sword/jian, staff/gun and spear/qiang) tends to keep participants reasonably far apart for the paired forms, partner drills and light sparring, and the weapons classes are held outdoors (the bare handed class will be indoors when the studio that I rent reopens).The indoor weaponless classes will be very different when they restart since I can no longer have participants contact each other.