Shoes!

JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Louis, did you get this type of sole:

or was it one of the other types?
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Hi Jerry,

Yes, I think that's it. The model I have are called Callicuts. The soles grip well, but break well when doing weighted pivots. The best thing to do is go to a sporting goods store and try some on.

--Louis
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

Artyeo,
I have about five pairs of shoes that look pretty much just like that. I have one pair that's about ten years old and they are so worn out on the heels that there's no tread left at all on them.
Comfy, though.
I still like my Dr. Scholl's. Comfy, minimal tread, and they've held up to all the form work now for quite a bit longer than any other tennis shoe I've tried.
It's getting close to time to by a new pair, though. The sides are starting to weaken on me.

Cheers
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

I needed some substantial shoes for my 9 year old son and found out that Etnies, which Louis recommended, has a factory outlet in Gilroy, not far from where I live. We were able to get two pairs of Callicuts for about $63, which is around the retail price for one pair. These are good shoes! They have the padded tongue and collar that most skate shoes have. They are actually quite a bit like the Converse EV Pro 2K5. However, the soles are quite a bit harder and stiffer and they have slightly more 'support' (don't ask me to define that) and a little bit of a hump in the middle for arch support. High quality shoes and easily recommended for taiji and other sports.
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

I discovered that Adidas has brought back new versions of Gazelle and Campus. The Gazelle in particular was a very good shoe for taiji and I was heartbroken when they discontinued them. I guess this means I can break out that last new pair of Gazelles I was saving.
onlinesilk1

Re: Shoes!

Post by onlinesilk1 »

There are several branded shoes are available such as Converse, Ecko, Sexess, and Nike. I more like nick brand because When you ware they shoes then you feel very comfortable for walking also it is every fashionable and better then other Shoes brand.
toosmallshoes

Post by toosmallshoes »

If you don't mind looking at them ( :shock: ), Vibram Five Fingers are perfect for martial arts. They are like a glove for your foot with a protective sole. Sensitivity to the ground is amazing! Here's the pair I wear to my Tai Chi Chuan class: http://www.vibramfivefingers.com/produc ... d-Mens.htm

global village idiot

Post by global village idiot »

Apologies if "resurrecting" old discussions is against this board's etiquette. I just don't know.

I came to this subject because I work in various types of shoes and boots depending on the situation.
o Sneakers when I know I'll be in the office all day and the weather's nice
o Ankle-height boots when I know I'll be in the field or when the weather gets cooler
o Something very much akin to "Stormtrooper" boots when it snows
o Military 8" laced boots when I'm in uniform (the tan kind with the rough-out leather and fabric top)
o Oxfords at Lodge and church
o Relatively inexpensive "kung-fu" shoes I bought in Chinatown when I'm in class

I should note I'm the only one who wears shoes in class besides the instructor. I'm not sure why this is. He recommends shoes or barefoot in class. I wear shoes to class for two reasons:
o I'm far more likely to be wearing shoes or boots when I need to use tai chi - "train like you fight and fight like you train" and
o A lifetime of conditioning to wear shower shoes etc. in gyms and around barracks

I haven't yet tried to do the forms in the "Stormtrooper" boots yet (didn't get much snow this past winter), but I have tried to do them in everything else. Of these, I find my work boots present the greatest challenge as far as balance and feeling rooted. I've learned that when I'm doing the forms in shoes other than those I'm accustomed to practicing them in, I need to slow down and really concentrate on things below the waist - which I should probably do more often anyway.

gvi
The important things are always simple.
The simple things are always hard.
The easy way is always mined.
- from Murphy's Laws of Combat
Bob Ashmore

Post by Bob Ashmore »

GVI,
We resurrect threads fairly regular like around here. No worries.

I train in what I'm wearing when I find the time to do it. Shoes, boots, slippers, socks, bare feet, flippers...
OK, never in flippers. Sounds fun though.
In the Spring I was wearing Converse skate shoes but I've changed over to deck shoes as summer has come on.
I also train in everything from parkas, to three piece suits, to shorts and a T, to sweat pants, to my birthday suit (when I'm alone, obviously), as well as any other type of gear you can think of (now I'm picturing myself doing TCC in full scuba gear, but I digress).
When I teach I try to present a professional front so I wear comfortable pants and either an ETC shirt or an IYFTCCA shirt, whichever is clean and handy when I'm heading to my studio, and usually a pair of tennis shoes of some kind.

I simply wear what's comfortable/what I have on/what is appropriate for the moment, as required.