TCC as osteoporosis prevention

Charla Quinn

TCC as osteoporosis prevention

Post by Charla Quinn »

I know there are some studies out there on TCC and arthritis, and balance, and even on cardio-pulmonary benefits, but what about osteoporosis? I hear of chi settling in the bones and making them heavy. My first teacher, a diabetic, who was very slight in stature had a very "heavy" (not tense or forceful) arm when I pushed hands with him. It always surprised me.
Western medicine says walking, or weight bearing exercise makes bone. It seems TCC is this, especially with moving weight from one side to the other constantly, yet there's no impact like in walking. Anybody know of any study done on this in re TCC? Thanks.
Charla
Michael

Post by Michael »

Charla,

Indeed there have been studies on TCC and osteoporosis. TCC is thought to be a "preventative" of sorts---of course with regular practice. It may take some time for me to find my references as a lot of that stuff is still packed away since we moved. If I can find it I will get back to you.

Good practice!

Michael
Eulalio Silva

Post by Eulalio Silva »

Charla,

There are many "evidences" and studies from different sources about TAi Chi Chuan and osteoporosis. (I am diabetic type 2 and practice Chi Kung and Tai Chi and have been neutralizing my sugar levels and strengthening my stamina againts sicknesses and illnesses)

I recommend reading the book:
Tai Chi Chi KUng I by Mantak Chia. A noted practioner, teacher of a simplified Tai Chi using only the original 4 movements from the original Yang STyle Tai Chi-Grasping the Birds tail)

Within the book, Bone breathing and skin breathing is discussed and since you asked about osteoporosis, this is a direct practice within Chi Kung to help somebody about it. Iron-shirt Chi Kung is discussed there generally and written in a simple but informative style. Master Chia wrote several books and you can research about it thru the internet.

While practicing Bone marrow washing or Bone Breathing, we are storing and spiraling CHI or energy..packing it within our bone marrows and thereby strenghtening the bones. Our bones are like sponges which have the structure specifically (hollows) to hold energy much like crystals holding energy as in a cell battery.

Breathing condensation is the packing of energy into the deep recesses of our bone marrows and creating pressure and compressing it. This action thru breath and energy also stimulates our bone marrow to manufacture new red blood and white blood cells. Aside from the obvious physical movements that is necessary to exercise our joints and ligaments, it is the internal effect that has the greatest contributing factor that helps prevent osteoporosis or help stimulate our bone marrows and making it "denser"

I am not a doctor but I am an avid reader, self researcher and practitioner of Chi Kung and Tai Chi.

I hope this would help you,
Eulalio Silva
Charla Quinn

Post by Charla Quinn »

Hi Michael and Eulalio,
Thanks for your replies. I'd appreciate any further info. on actual studies done like there are with, for instance, the Emory Univ. studies on balance. Eulalio, I shall try to get a copy of Mantak Chia's book as well. I have heard of the "bone washing", etc. but I can't quite grasp the concept as yet. Thanks again and I'm an avid reader of the discussion site, thus enjoying all your info. and insights!
charla
Eulalio Silva

Post by Eulalio Silva »

Charla,

http://www.how.mystics.co.uk/meditate.htm

http://www.taichiacademy.com/healthabstract7696.htm

The first link is all the books that Master Mantak Chia and his wife wrote...You would want to check out that one on Iron Shirt Chi Kung and Bone Marrow Cleansing or Breathing..

The second link is about clinical studies about Tai Chi and health.....read the details and be amazed!

Hope this one would help you and anyone about Tai chi and degenerative diseases and chronic diseases being curbed or helped and on a lot of cases...completely healed!

Thanks,
Eulalio "Eli" Silva
Charla Quinn

Post by Charla Quinn »

Thanks "Eli",
For the addresses in your last post. I did go there (taichiacademy one) and found a great abstract on TCC and osteo. However, I could not get to the full text. I tried the journal, volume, etc. mentioned, but that article was not listed. However I did find one of the names listed on the abstract at USF in the college of medicine. Since most everybody seems more adept at this computer stuff than I am, do you have any other suggestions for getting to the full text of that article? It is very important or I wouldn't ask. Thank you for all your help! and again for all your good discussions. I too practice standing meditation, but am finding many more insights into why I'm doing it through your discussions! Charla
Eulalio Silva

Post by Eulalio Silva »

Charla,

I wish that I can provide you all the answers though I think it would be helpful to call the webmaster who published the taichiacademy:

http://www.taichiacademy.com/contact.htm

Next, I would check the library of congress for all "documentations" of every print and publications in the U.S.

http://www.loc.gov/

Thirdly, perhaps if you can contact the names from the USF and explain to them your own research who can also give you references and names.

I hope that with these resources, you would find or would lead you to your most sought after information.

I would also contact other sites of Chi Kung that would give you links for direct masters who can heal...look for Dr. John Painter who also learned a direct lineage of Pa Kua, another internal martial arts....Another is Kumar Frantzis who also earned lineages of different tai chi, hsing-i and pa kua.....

Another is Guy Savelli, though thru Kuntao Silat, an Indonesian internal arts.

Paul Dong, a chi kung master and author who published EMPTY FORCE, study about standing still meditation and phenomena.

Dan Diepersloot, author and practioner of Stillness meditation from Master Cai, who heals (Warriors of Stillness)

Kosta Danaos, author and practitioner of Nei Kung (Magus of Java)

Good luck and keep on meditating!
Eulalio "Eli" Silva

p.s.....do your standing meditation as you do research.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Charla,

I have been looking but came up empty. The closest I came was a reference to research done in China in The Journal of Chinese Medicine. There were no references to the exact study. There is someone who MAY be able to help. If you are interested in contacting her let me know and I could drop you an e-mail.

Michael