Short Forms

greengk

Short Forms

Post by greengk »

I have been studying Cheng Man-ching's short form for some time including push hands and sword form. My teachers have practiced for a number of decades and consider their style Yang style. They often refer to and recommended books by and about people like Yang Cheng Fu and others in the Yang lineage. I have gained much from my practice and have great respect for my teachers. I have also gained much from my exposure to others in the Yang lineage.

However, I know that forms change due to the teachers. I am wondering what the Yang family would see as differences (other than length) between the CMC short form and the form the Yang family still teaches. The principles are the same and the movements are similar; but is there a difference in focus? Is there something that would be emphasized more in the Yang family's teaching? Would the Yang family consider Cheng Man-ching's form a yang style?

Thank you,
Greg K.
ChiDragon

Re: Short Forms

Post by ChiDragon »

FYI Cheng Man-ching learnt Tai Chi from the Yang style. However, he developed his own style which does not resemble the Yang style at all.
A deep discussion requires explicit details for a good comprehension of a complex subject.
fchai

Post by fchai »

Greeting Greg,

The number of unique postures in the Yang Family Long Form is about 50. So, when someone develops a short form, based on the traditional Yang Chengfu Long Form, it only has a sub-set of the available forms. As far as I am aware of, the Yang Family (Yang Chengfu lineage) teaches the 103 Postures Long Form, the Essential Form (by Yang Jun) and the 49 Competition Form (by Yang Zhengduo). All the other versions were developed by other teachers. Many teachers claim their form is Yang Family, if it is done slowly and evenly in pace, and if they throw in the iconic postures such as Cloud Hands, Single Whip, High Pat the Horse, Needle Beneath the Sea Bottom, etc. They even add new postures and movements that were never part of the original form, but as they are done in the typical manner of the Yang Taiji, lay claim that it is of the Yang Style. However, in my opinion this claim is sometimes based at the very superficial level of, "it looks like and seems like", and most punters don't know any better.

Cheng Man Ching was an interesting teacher, as he moved away from the martial aspects of the original Yang Taiji form later in life. Because of this, his interpretation of the movements and postures changed, and quite significantly. Not knowing at which end of the spectrum your form resides in, makes it difficult to deduce whether the form you do still maintains its original martial character, or has been changed and now diverges from the original. However, I have seen him demonstrate in some early videos and he pretty much executed the postures as they were originally intended, and I would not suggest otherwise.

Take care,
Frank
fchai

Post by fchai »

Greetings Greg,

And before I forget, if you want some idea of a focus that the Yang Family has in their instruction, it is perhaps the Ten Essential Principles. I have found that not many other Yang "Style" Taiji schools include this as an important part of their instruction. However, I have not attended a Yang Family Taiji School (those under the direction of Master Yang Jun) and so am not conversant on other aspects that the Yang Family focuses on in their instruction. Someone in this forum, such as Audi, would provide more accurate and better information.

Take care,
Frank