Family´s opinion about the Book

Angela

Family´s opinion about the Book

Post by Angela »

Louis Swaim translated "The Complete Book of the Essence and Applications of Taijiquan" by Yang Cheng Fu.

I´d like to know the family opinion about this book. Please Master Yang Jun, can you send us a tip?
Thanks
Angela
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

I doubt if Yang Jun has looked at the translation. I had a brief discussion with him by email about the impending publication of Louis' translation of the Yang Chengfu book. His comment about Louis' translation of Fu Zhongwen's book was:

"I think Louis has very good Chinese level. I believe he did good job."
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

My personal recommendation: get this book!
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thanks Jerry!
Have you read the book?

Angela
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Yes. Louis did an excellent job on it.
Angela

Post by Angela »

Thanks then I´ll try to get the book and appreciate it!

Angela
Angela

Post by Angela »

Hi Jerry
i´ve seen the book and could undersatnd that Master Chen Man Ching has given the idea to Master Yang Cheng fu to write the book.
Why Master Chen Man Ching has changed so hardly the principles and approaches of the Yang Style? Like the leaning of the body and the opening of arma pits, etc...Do you have any idea about that?

Thanks
Angela
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Angela,

From what I can determine, Zheng Manqing’s role in the _Essence and Applications_ book was editorial; he made some stylistic changes to some of the writing, but the actual content of the form instructions was for the most part unchanged from the way it was presented in Yang Chengfu’s earlier book, _Taijiquan shiyongfa_, (which was in turn compiled and edited by Dong Yingjie). The form instructions are based upon Yang Chengfu’s personal demonstration narratives. Zheng Manqing had been Yang Chengfu’s student for two or three years when he edited _Essence and Applications_. That was well before he developed his own shortened interpretation of the Yang form. We know that there are identifiable differences in Zheng’s version of the taijiquan form, but I do not know what the definitive explanation would be for how those differences came about.

Take care,
Louis
Angela

Post by Angela »

Greetings Louis

it´s a real honor to receive a direct answer from you! I´ve seen the book and it is already on the way to Brazil!

Thanks for your clarifications

Angela
Anderzander

Post by Anderzander »

It is good to have you here Louis - you've posted some gems.

thanks