Erle Montaigue and Yang Family Stories

Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Ah, I found it.
I had also talked about the WHLC thing in Push hands/serious push hands question.
Like I said, not in as much detail, but I did make a point or two there that I didn't make here.
Anyway...
It was great.
I'm looking forward to lots of that at the seminar this weekend.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Thanks Wushuer,

One comment. "Real" or "legitamate" application in my opinion, is not always or a "real" factor. As I am sure you know, "applications" change by the distance, angles, etc. All are "real" if approprite. I know you understand this, but I just have "typing fever".

Have you seen the sidestepping foot trapping used with the throw?
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Michael,
You're right, no such thing as an unreal or illegitimate application, just those that aren't the best possible choice at that moment or just plain old won't work.
The one we found by accident while messing around actually turned out to work very well and I've been playing with it all week long, which has lead me to even more variations on the application and WHLC in general.
I have found more applications accidently, by just goofing around with the movements and energies, especially with a partner, over the years than I've ever learned by someone teaching me.
It's like anything else you learn. Once you know the basics, the rest just comes from playing with those basics until you've figured them out.

I know of sidestepping for throws. I haven't progressed far enough with Yang style WHLC to have tried that, though. Nor is my partner at the level where I would throw him like that without a big, healthy early warning.

[This message has been edited by Wushuer (edited 07-21-2004).]
Andreas Graf

Post by Andreas Graf »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Michael:
If you want Earle's method move to Aussie land. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am not interested in Erle's alleged Taiji, but it seems he is now in Wales, UK, isn't he?
Michael

Post by Michael »

Andreas,

I don't keep track of him, but that is indeed possible. I expect he would run out of students being so far removed.
TomX

Post by TomX »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by gene:
<B>Wushunut:
I have never studied with Mr. Montaigue. I have seen some of his tapes, and based upon the limited snippets I saw, the applications seemed very "hard" (I mean external). Taiji, though, is an exercise in understanding and using various subtle types of energy as efficiently as possible. I am guessing that he teaches the deeper levels in person. There is so much more to the art of taiji than smashing acupuncture points to cause injury.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've not studied with him either and up until last night everything I'd ready about him was that he like to smash points, however lastnight I stumbled across his profile on youtube and he's been uploading loads of videos/tutorials he's done and there seems to be alot more to him than point smashing. He's got a load of 30mins lessons covering alot of stuff, there are things he talks about I've not heard before and found it to be a very good learning experience. There are also vids of him with his martial techniques and vids on healing yourself and others, I'm certainly finding his stuff very interesting, here's his youtube page...

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Moontagu

I also found out he live not far from me (yes, in Wales).

[This message has been edited by TomX (edited 11-03-2006).]