The Complete Book of the Essence and Applications of Taijiqu

oldyangtaijiquan

The Complete Book of the Essence and Applications of Taijiqu

Post by oldyangtaijiquan »

I am waiting for the translation by Louis Swaim of the book "The Complete Book of the Essence and Applications of Taijiquan" by Yang Cheng Fu. That book is a Yang Style Taijiquan bible.

Louis Swaim is doing a great work with the translation. His previous work "Mastering Yang Style Taijiquan" by Fu Zhong Wen is also a masterpiece and one of the best (if not the best) English books about Yang Taijiquan.

It will be a paperback book of 200 pages for only $16.95 (at Amazon for $11.87) published by North Atlantic Books. North Atlantic Books is also doing a great work with the "translations" of the Yang Taijiquan literature in the last years.

At the Amazon.com the release date is March 12, 2005. I can't wait ;-))))))) Any comment?
Anderzander

Post by Anderzander »

I enjoyed Louis' last book and also the translations he has done here.

Thank you for telling of the new one - I'm looking forward to it too. Image

Stephen
TaiChi_Student

Post by TaiChi_Student »

I got the book by Fu Zhongwen a couple of weeks ago and it is a pretty good read so far. I did not read the Tai Chi classics yet, but the form instructions do seem quite detailed. I was wondering if Cheng Fu's book is just the same work, but an earlier one of course? I ask because I will order it soon from Amazon.

Joe
Audi

Post by Audi »

Greetings Joe,

I would say both books serve the same broad purposes, but are likely to differ enough to make both worthwhile. Although the core content may be quite similar, the additional material is probably not. Depending on where you are in your study, the "additional material" may be what actually justifies the purpose of the books more than reading descriptions of postures and looking at pictures.

Good luck,
Audi
Xiao Yun

Post by Xiao Yun »

From what I heard, Louis left out the Chang Quan form from his translation and I am curious as to why he might have done this.

I know that YZD denies that his father ever taught such a form, even though Yang Shao Chung taught it, and others talked about it who had studied closely with YCF.

Why leave it out?
Yuri Snisarenko

Post by Yuri Snisarenko »

Anyway, can anybody tell us what postures were in that frame (Chang Quan form)? What did they look like?

Thanks
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Xiao Yun,

You wrote: “From what I heard, Louis left out the Chang Quan form from his translation and I am curious as to why he might have done this.”

No, what you heard is incorrect. The book that I translated, _Taijiquan tiyong quanshu_, does not contain the Chang Quan form, nor any mention of it. There is an earlier book by Chen Weiming that does contain a Chang Quan form.

Take care,
Louis
Xiao Yun

Post by Xiao Yun »

I know that YCF wrote 2 books, right? So it must be a different one then. Because Plum Pub http://www.plumpub.com/sales/lionbks/lb_taichi1.htm

sells one of his books that contains changquan and 108 form. Did you translate the other one?
Louis Swaim

Post by Louis Swaim »

Greetings Xiao Yun,

The book shown on that page for Plum is the one that I translated, but it does not contain a Chang Quan form. There may be some confusion of terminology here, as the Plum blurb refers to the "Yang Long Set." What that refers to is the standard Yang Chengfu form, as opposed to any shortened form, but it does not refer to what is sometimes named Chang Quan.

I hope this clarifies matters.

--Louis
Xiao Yun

Post by Xiao Yun »

Yeah, I guess the best way is for me to actually get both books and study them. Plus I was looking at your book, and I will probably get it regardless.
Darkman

Post by Darkman »

Mr Swaim, My name is Larry Clark and I studied under Abraham Liu, in san diego, both at the taoist sanctuary and at his home, trading yard work and such for lessons. I understand that one of your books you translated, had pictures of(correct me if I am wrong)students maybe I am wrong, or students of Cheng man'jing, in the back, and one of those pictures was of my teacher Abraham Liu. I saw this untranslated book last weekend at the park after class. and there he was in the picture sets. I was wondering if you translated this book or know of it?
thank you.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Louis Swaim:
<B>Greetings Xiao Yun,

You wrote: “From what I heard, Louis left out the Chang Quan form from his translation and I am curious as to why he might have done this.”

No, what you heard is incorrect. The book that I translated, _Taijiquan tiyong quanshu_, does not contain the Chang Quan form, nor any mention of it. There is an earlier book by Chen Weiming that does contain a Chang Quan form.

Take care,
Louis</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
zukeru

Re: The Complete Book of the Essence and Applications of Tai

Post by zukeru »

The theories specifically state not to practice external and internal martial at the same time, thus Im confused as to how YCF could have taught Chang Quan form, although some might be confused because from what I know there was originally a fast form which could be confused as Chang Quan. YCF changed this when he slowed down the form and taught big frame as to focus on health. I could be wrong tho.