13 yang form

mls_72

13 yang form

Post by mls_72 »

here is some info on the 13 yang form that was taught at 22nd 'Taste of China' in winchester va.. I sent an editable copy to Dave Barrett for corrections so Yang Jun can finalize. this is a temp site.

http://www.geocities.com/Pipeline/Shore ... amily.html

matt
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Matt,
This is a very good article. I have often expressed my liking for GM Yang Zhen Duo's 13 posture form. I do this form at least a dozen times a day, in between other duties. Since it is such a short form (I can do it in between 45 seconds and a minute and a half, depending on the tempo I'm using) I find I can do it just about anytime.
This was the first Yang family form I learned, and I really enjoyed its large, round, flowing movements after fifteen years of Wu style segmented form training. (Not that I don't still enjoy the Wu forms!)
I'm glad to see Master Yang Jun teaching this, with applications.
I am looking forward greatly to Master Yang Juns visit to Louisville at the end of this month!
Thank you for a preview of his expertise.
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

Have a great time at his seminar. I was very impressed myself and glad to know after touching with Yang Jun that his yielding is very much like another Yang taiji expert from the Hangzhou branch of Yongnian taiji- Dr. Xianhao Cheng who has studied very deep in Yang taiji.

I myself am looking forward to many years of deepening my Yang taiji now that he is in the usa and established in Washington state.

Alot of the people who previously studied with Master Yang zhen Dou were also glad to have had been taught by Master Yang Jun as well and picked up many applications and details missed in previous seminars from years back.

so you study Wu taiji as well! Dr. cheng 's teacher in china teaches a 'small frame' yang taiji form that looks much like wu style taiji. Historically we know the wu's studied with the Yang Pan Hou, the 2nd generation of Yang family. 5th generation Wu family,Master Eddie Wu from Toronto canada was recently at a tournament last weekend. It was very nice to see those differences. In 1996 in Shangahi I was able to learn some of the wu 'fast frame' from Dr. Li Li's group (student of the late Ma Yeuh liang) and he comes here to Virginia hosted by Dr. John and Patricia Shear. though not offically part of the Wu training group, I very much like the liveliness of that routine.

sincerely,
matt
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Matt,
Yes, I studied under Sifu Eddie and his disciples for ten years, and then practiced that style pretty much on my own for another five.
I found Yang sytle TCC when I began to look for other TCC artists in my local area (I had to move halfway across the country from my former school for my job) and found a group of skilled, dedicated Yang family TCC practicioners.
After a very brief time of attempting to push hands and train sparring and applications with them while I was still using the Wu style techniques I had learned, I decided that it would be better to get myself up to speed on the Yang family forms and practice with them in a manner we could all agree on.
I have found a great deal of interesting similarities as well as some fascinating differences in between these two styles and have come to love them both. They are highly complimentary to one another, though I've been accused by some neandrathals at my old school of "polluting" my lineage or something like that.
Silly gits.
I have also studied the Wu family large framed round fast form, though I have a suspicion my instructor wasn't really very well versed in it. Fortunately I cornered Eddie and Wu Tai Sin at a seminar and had them critique and correct my fast form, so while I don't think I have it exactly, I feel I'm much closer now to the original intent. Especially as the form is quite similar to the Yang form I'm training now. I really like the fajing expression as well as the leaping and find the stamping to be very spiritually gratifying as well as martially applicable.
In fact, I still express fajing and stamp from time to time when doing even Yang forms (though I just don't seem to feel the need to leap at all, huh, wonder why?), if it feels appropriate for me to do so at that time, but only when I'm practicing alone. I would likely get some really strange looks from the Yang style folks I train with if I did that during class!
Audi

Post by Audi »

Hi Matt,

Yes, this was a great article. Thanks for sharing.

Take care,
Audi
Michael

Post by Michael »

I thank you as well
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

your welcome...to those who liked article.

wushuer said:
In fact, I still express fajing and stamp from time to time when doing even Yang forms (though I just don't seem to feel the need to leap at all, huh, wonder why?)

i know what you mean wushuer. if you practice the taiji 100 percent soft all the time and store alot of power, sometimes you gotta just release some of it. the last kick in section 2 before 2nd cross hands was done as a slap kick by the Fu Zhong Wen's group in shanghai.
Wushuer

Post by Wushuer »

Matt,
I have seen many a slap kick done in different forms, have done quite a few myself, but haven't heard of any in the Yang forms. I'll give that a try next form I do.
mls_72

Post by mls_72 »

In the Guang Ping yang variation, that same kick is a jump slap kick.
Michael Coulon

Post by Michael Coulon »

Matt,
A good article on the 13-posture handform. Just to clarify, the sequence is:
Preparation Form
1 Beginning
2 Cloud Hands
3 Single Whip
4 Fist Under Elbow
5 White Crane Lifts Wings
6 Left Brush Knee and Step
7 Hand Strums the Lute