Yang style History

Solimanus

Yang style History

Post by Solimanus »

Hello,
I am familiar with the disciples of Yang Sau Chung, Ip Tai Tak of Hong Kong, Gin Soon Chu of Boston,MA and Chu King Hong of the U.K., but who were the disciples of Yang Cheng Fu? And how many were there? I heard that their names were listed in a Mainland publication but this information is not widely known. Here are a few to start off with.

Tung Ying Chieh
Fu Zhong Wen
Chen Wei Ming
Dr. Tseng Ju-Pai
JerryKarin

Post by JerryKarin »

Yang Chengfu had thousands of students. Solimanus mentioned some. Here are a few more of the better known ones:

Wu Huichuan
Tien Zhaolin
Li Chun-nian (Li Yaxuan)
Zhang Qinglin
Zheng Manqing (Cheng Manching)
Cui Yishi
Zeng Shouchang (is he the same as Tseng Ju Pai?)

Most of Yang Chengfu's students came to Yang style taiji with a background of other martial arts, so there is some variation in the way they ultimately came to teach. I will try to get Yang Jun to talk more about some of the major disciples and report what he says in this thread.
vajrab

Post by vajrab »

People talk of Yang style as if there is only 1 variant. Yang Shaohou, Yang Banhou and students of Yang Luchan all manifested variants of Yang style.

Why pretend as if there is only one way of doing Yang style. We know that disposition, depth of training, degree of study and other martial endeavours played also affected external Yang style.
ottawakungfu

Post by ottawakungfu »

Over 200 years ago, Yang Lu Chan created the Yang Family tai chi chuan. His family and students have past on their interpretation of this martial arts. There are now many branches that grew out of the teahings of the Yang Lu Chan. Amongst Yang Lu Chan's own students,
Quan You's son founded the Wu style
Wang Lan Ting' student created the Li style
Wu Ch’eng-ch’ing and his brothers created the Wu style
Wang Jiao-Yu teaching became the source for GuangPing style.

Yang Lu Chan's sons also modified his teachings. For example, the big, medium and small frames have been taught by Yang Ban Hou and Yang Jian Hou.

Yang Cheng Fu, the most well known teacher in the West, had hundreds of students since he taught through out China. Thirty or forty of his students were consider to be exceptional and of those, a few taught or left a written legacy. Some of those exceptional students also taught variations of the form. For example,
Cheng Man Ching (perhaps the most well known in the west)
Dong Ying Jie
Fu Zhongwen
Fu Chen Sung

The Yang Style is rich in tradition and heritage. Over the past 200 years, hundreds of martial artists have contributed to the teaching and philosophy of this style.

For those interested, we are working on a history of the Yang style starting with Yang Lu Chan. So far we have traced more than four hundred practitioners. Please e-mail me if you like a copy or an expand on some of the material in this history.
Gianluca Meassi

Post by Gianluca Meassi »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by ottawakungfu:
<B>
<cut>
legacy. Some of those exceptional students also taught variations of the form. For example,
Cheng Man Ching (perhaps the most well known in the west)
Dong Ying Jie
Fu Zhongwen
Fu Chen Sung
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You mean that Fu Zhongwen modified the YCF form? Did you got info on this?
My master is disceple of FZW and so i'm really interested on this.
For what i know Fu Zhongwen and other 2 disceple were the ones that less modify or contaminate the transmission of YCF.

Cheers
G.
Polaris

Post by Polaris »

Since Fu had a different body than his teacher, his form would have been a little bit different than YCF's, as no two people can ever have an identical form. It is like everyone has their own handwriting. You can write the same words, which say the same things, but they will always look justa little bit different from someone else's writing the same thing.

Fu had the reputation of having a VERY good form, and that he was faithful to YCF's teaching in every respect.
onlinesilk1

Re: Yang style History

Post by onlinesilk1 »

I have read here every yang style history and every information are really good and important for fashion world . I am so impressed by that.
jacob28

Post by jacob28 »

fu zhong wen. never changed anything he's the one that kept it the way yang cheng fu taught him and has kept the principles and the structures the same and handed it down the same to his son . the history is very interesting in taichi on what people really have the true interpretation of the art
nicos

Post by nicos »

I wonder why Yang Ban Hao was known to have a forceful nature? and his nephew as well. just curious...I find these martial artist from that period interesting. I read an article or an extract from a book or something online written by one of the Tracys where they mentioned meeting some elderly martial artist (probably dead by now) who claimed to have seenYang ban hao fight when they were very young (I dunno how old this article is but either these guys were really old or this article was written a few decades aback.) both of them said that Ban Hao's attacks were almost like those of kenpo but with more power behind them, one said that he saw him blind a guy with an attack used ordinarilly in kenpo (when they say kenpo here i'm assuming Tracy Kenpo, which does have elements of Chinese Martial arts so i wasnt quick to call bs when i read this.) as far as I know apart from training his nephew Ban Hao had a daughter and son but their legacy is not as well known as his brothers children.according to storys passed down this guy had some serious fighting ability. wish i had a time machine.